DRG C Conversion vs. SR C+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimson King

Reaction score
Hi, all

Still in the market for an amp and thinking about the two aforementioned amp. Both are black tolex 1x12 combos. As noted, one is a 60 watt factor C+ w/ only reverb. The other is a simul-class, graphic and reverb factory C that I will likely get upgraded to a C+. Unfortunately, the ability to possibly sell quickly down the road is a consideration, but each amp has notable positives and negatives.

Presuming comparable cost, which would you get? Thanks!

Crimson King said:
Hi, all

Still in the market for an amp and thinking about the two aforementioned amp. Both are black tolex 1x12 combos. As noted, one is a 60 watt factor C+ w/ only reverb. The other is a simul-class, graphic and reverb factory C that I will likely get upgraded to a C+. Unfortunately, the ability to possibly sell quickly down the road is a consideration, but each amp has notable positives and negatives.

Presuming comparable cost, which would you get? Thanks!
Without hesitation I'd go for the DRG.

Thanks, guys - definitely leaning that way, but was concerned about sentiment that the conversions might be a risky proposition in terms of resale. Don't want to sound greedy at all, just great to know I can sell quickly if need be (and not lose money).

Crimson King said:
Thanks, guys - definitely leaning that way, but was concerned about sentiment that the conversions might be a risky proposition in terms of resale. Don't want to sound greedy at all, just great to know I can sell quickly if need be (and not lose money).

In general a DRG will sell better than a SR.
As for your concerns about risk/ resale:
It depends on what you're paying to get the DRG.
If you don't mind saying, let us know.
It'll be easier to advise if it's worth pursuing (aka you can back what you have into it).

gts said:
Crimson King said:

It'll be easier to advise if it's worth pursuing (aka you can back what you have into it).

Sure, seller is asking $1,500.00, trying to get it at $1,250.00.

Figure $300 to $400 for the upgrade with shipping. It will be like a new amp. :D

While the Simul is generally considered preferable, it also comes down to personal preference. I always thought graphic eq is an important feature for a Mark amp, especially when gigging. Some contend it "sucks" tone.

For that price, I'd get the DRG and have it modded. You'd have a C+ for less than $2k. If you need to sell it, you likely won't lose money.

Arggghhh, not to sound unappreciative but I'm still conflicted about this. Am I crazy for - now - thinking I'm going to go with the SR Factory? And is $1500 a good price for it? I've dealt with the seller and trust him, he's a good guy. Plus, there seems to be a large group of people who prefer the tone of the 60w and non-GEC amps.

Also, I'm not sure if the "C" even has the RP11 circuit board or if it has the "C+" simulclass transformer. Then there's the entire issue of cost. Presuming I get it at $1500, the upgrade and maintenance fees will likely take it past $2000. Plus, I'll need to change the speaker... At that point is someone going to spend over $2K for a conversion? Seems risky.

Will likely pick up either one this weekend.

Crimson King said:
gts said:
Crimson King said:

Sure, seller is asking $1,500.00, trying to get it at $1,250.00.

Buy it at $1500, you can't go wrong! Seriously $1500 is a good price.

Elpelotero said:
For that price, I'd get the DRG and have it modded. You'd have a C+ for less than $2k. If you need to sell it, you likely won't lose money.

+1

Crimson King said:
Arggghhh, not to sound unappreciative but I'm still conflicted about this. Am I crazy for - now - thinking I'm going to go with the SR Factory? And is $1500 a good price for it? I've dealt with the seller and trust him, he's a good guy. Plus, there seems to be a large group of people who prefer the tone of the 60w and non-GEC amps.

Also, I'm not sure if the "C" even has the RP11 circuit board or if it has the "C+" simulclass transformer. Then there's the entire issue of cost. Presuming I get it at $1500, the upgrade and maintenance fees will likely take it past $2000. Plus, I'll need to change the speaker... At that point is someone going to spend over $2K for a conversion? Seems risky.

Will likely pick up either one this weekend.
You're over thinking this a bit too much.

Fwiw a DRG IIC upgraded to a C+ will easily fetch $2k+
If you don't buy it please put me in touch with the seller.

Since you're able to pick them up, then try both out and see what you think, see which you prefer.
I wouldn't go by what others say they think/ prefer. Listen with your ears then decide.
BUT beware the lead channel on the IIC is NOWHERE near as nice as it'll be after being upgraded to a C+

Why are you no longer sure about the C being a Simul or having the right pre-amp board??

Fwiw the "C" may not have the RP-11 pre-amp board but if not it will have RP-10. Either is fine for upgrading it to a C+
If it's Simul you'll see a "Simul/ Class A" switch on it.
You'll also see the "D" on the chassis in magic marker. Like you originally said it's a "DRG"
Lastly the Simul OT will be have SC-152019B on it. Easy to see.

Well, the MK IIC was sold while I was in transit to check it out - nice, eh? Not too bothered, though as I'll be picking up the IIC+ SR this weekend. It's a fair price, and most importantly a price within my budget now. I recently sold my Orange PPC212 and some additional gear so the net difference is not that much.

Based on the my research, especially Danyeo's comments, I figure that the SR will easily get me where I want to go with an EQ in the loop.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back