Mark IV sample settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysterblues

Reaction score
Is it me, or do these sample settings in the manual not make sense? The way I set up is to have a clean, then a slightly dirty, then an overdrive-in succession. Meaning rhy1-rhy2-lead. All of the sample settings in the manual are ridiculously unbalanced! Rhy1 is hot and lead is low volume, be it much more driven......Kind of weird to set the "non-tweaker" off into a bad start in my opinion. And of course these amps are not for the meek. They are designed to be explored and will give amazing results. Truly capable of attaining any base tone you could want-from clean to mayhem! I just find it strange that the suggested settings as far as output are so dramatically different? Or is it me?

I thought I was the only one who thought that! The volume jumps all over the place in those settings. Weird. Haven't looked at them in a long time. Might take a look and see if I'm close to any of them now.

Even given that each diagram has 3 sample settings on it (except for the last one), I don't think they meant that the three settings were related - that you could dial in those settings and then use the foot-switch to switch among the three. I'm guessing that it was more an "economy of display" issue. As in "Put as many on a single diagram as possible" (with 3 being the most you could put). That may account for how different they are. Although, they did have to spend some time to figure out which samples for channels 1 and 2 could be on the same diagram (since they share the mid and bass controls).

When I first got my Mark IV, I did spend some time dialing each one in. Then I played with the controls to see how each one modified the sample. It took a while, but it really helped my understand the amp.

bgh said:
Even given that each diagram has 3 sample settings on it (except for the last one), I don't think they meant that the three settings were related - that you could dial in those settings and then use the foot-switch to switch among the three. I'm guessing that it was more an "economy of display" issue. As in "Put as many on a single diagram as possible" (with 3 being the most you could put). That may account for how different they are. Although, they did have to spend some time to figure out which samples for channels 1 and 2 could be on the same diagram (since they share the mid and bass controls).

When I first got my Mark IV, I did spend some time dialing each one in. Then I played with the controls to see how each one modified the sample. It took a while, but it really helped my understand the amp.

I'm with ya. I was not really thinking of it that way. I have had no issues getting killer balanced sounds out of the Mesa, just thought it may be discouraging to some who are not savvy. And you really do have to spend some time and explore the capabilities of these amps. That's what it's all about. I have a bass player friend who bought a Mesa online, when he got it he was kind of disappointed. But after tweaking it for a few days he says it's the most amazing amp he has ever had and will never turn back! And he has played a zillion amps. I too have owned a crapload of amps and I absolutely love the Boogie.

I work at home. When my Mark IV was delivered, it was the middle of the work day. But, I just had to unpack it, check it out, plug it in, and try it out. All I had time to mess with was the clean channel. But, fell in love with it instantly.

As I have learned more and more about it and have played through it for longer and longer, it has now become my favorite amp. It never fails to bring a smile to my face!

I feel the same. The clarity and transparency of this amp is fantastic! I can actually hear what my guitar actually sounds like for once! 8)

I've had mine since '92 and I still find that I've forgotten great ways to set the amp and rediscover them all the time. Such a great amp.

Back