Avatar Cab with EV open or closed back?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glguitarman

Reaction score
Hey all,

I need to get a 1x12 cab for my EV 12L classic, and I am thinking about getting an Avatar cab. Any one have an opinion on whether it should be open or closed back?

I will use it with a Mark IV. I don't want a bass heavy tone, so would open my better choice?

Any input would be helpful, thanks.

get one that allows both.

oval open back panel with conversion board

that'd be for an AVATAR, i think they will do it with the vintage, modern and traditional models.

i think the open back would be great for cleaner tones, closed for drive tones

Good advice.

A closed back cab will prevent bass frequency wave cancellation so you'll get more bass.

Read this it may help.
It's an informative post from Stewart Ward on the Telecaster forum.
He's responding in a thread asking if there was a difference between a closed back and an open back cab (and mentions the EV-12L near the end).

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/195108-closed-back-open-back-cab.html

All speakers have what is known as 'free air resonance' (Rs). In an open back cabinet, there will be a lot of bass output at the the resonant frequency quoted by the maker... usually 75-85Hz for a typical 12" guitar speaker. Big open back Fender combos, and other makes, display silly amounts of bass at this frequency... open E (6th)... because the speaker naturally vibrates heavily at this frequency, even with only small amounts of power driving it.

The same speaker(s) in a closed back cabinet will perform differently. The back on the cabinet seals the air inside the cabinet. So the speaker has to work harder to compress and stretch that trapped air. This places stress on the speaker cone and causes the resonant frequency of the speaker to change. The sound also only comes from the front of the cabinet, making it appear directional, as there's no 'spill' from the back of the cab.

Regardless of the size or shape of the closed back cabinet, the resonance of the speaker will rise by about 2½ notes. This means that most closed back cabinets (even a Marshall 4x12) have a resonance of approximately 120Hz... or open A (5th). Great for rock!!

If you're a blues, country or jazz player, then the closed back cab may exude too much chuggy open A bottom end. You can't turn it off.

If you find that an open back cab is still too bassy for you, then you must replace the speaker with one where the resonance is down at 55Hz... that's much ower than open E. The Celestion G12H 30 Heritage does just this job. So does the JBL D120F or the Electrovoice EVM12L. They all have very supple cone suspensions which facilitate this low resonance effect.

Larry Carlton's ES335 tone with the Crusaders is a good example of the EVM12L 55Hz sound. However, for some rock players it may sound a little flat and lifeless.

10" speakers have a higher Rs around 100-120Hz, but the same effects will apply... just raise the Rs by 2½ notes for a closed cabinet.

The EV12L "must" be used in a thiel cabinet they have a very low Qts and will not sound good in an open back cabinet.

I would just search for a cabinet that has a back that you can remove.

You might get suck removing a boat load of screws though.
Your other option is you can look at just building a 1 12 cab yourself.

Just go find a cab you like, then bring a tape measure and write down the dimensions.
Go to hardware store buy void free marine Baltic birch.
Grab a couple pieces if 1 inch by 1 inch pine to use inside as a stop for the back where your back panel screws in.
You could always find a way to modify the back panel where it could have a quick release but you do risk the chance of having things that can vibrate and create noise.

Wood is really cheap and you could always make 2 cab of them, one opened and one closed.
Just watch a few videos on how to tolex and make sure you use a perfect seam

11min point of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k7rDs4F4qs

Back