Need some advice about my MKiiC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been lurking here for a long time, but I hadn't ever posted before. I have a question that hopefully you guys will be able to help me out with.

I own a MkIIC+. I believe it was upgraded some time in the early 90s or something. It's the most basic version there is. No EQ, reverb, or anything. Furthermore, the tolex is gone and it is in a rather unattractive plywood case. The grill is a bit ripped too. I have been keeping it this way for a while because I don't mind, and it makes it much less likely to be stolen than a beautiful looking amplifier. I even removed the handle so you have to pick it up by the corners or use a cart.

That brings me to my issue: I have been gigging for a couple years down in Los Angeles, and I don't think I really need such a beast of an amp. I love it dearly, but I just am not playing it as much or loudly as it should be played. I am considering selling it, but I'm not sure what my best course of action would be.

Considering how it looks, would it be better for me to re-tolex it and get a new grill, or try to sell it as is?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I can also maybe post pics.

You could probably have a really nice hardwood head case built by a furniture or cabinet maker, which would increase the value of the amp considerably.

Alternatively, you can try to find a used head case or combo cab.

I would suggest the latter option. If you look on ebay every day or two, eventually a used empty combo cab or headshell will surface. They are usually about $100-150. Alternatively, a custom made piece could obviously be more, I imagine. There's a fellow on here named George, goes by GTS, that makes custom pieces.

Thanks for the tips. That actually probably is the best idea. I live a couple miles from Boogie so I think I'll get it checked out first.

Is this the right cabinet? This would be better than a combo then? Thanks again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-boogie-mark-II-c-50-caliber-unfinished-pine-head-cabinet-/290786298752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b436cb80

The construction of the head shell are pretty well made but the problem with this head is the height, he built the head a little bit more high than the original from Mesa, maybe 1½ or 2 inch high because they don't make the hole for the reverbe tank. So if you look for a cheap solution that's a good choice.

re-tolex and redo the grille and it will sell for more.
Enough to offset the cost of refurbishing it, maybe, maybe not....

Kerry said:
Hello,

I've been lurking here for a long time, but I hadn't ever posted before. I have a question that hopefully you guys will be able to help me out with.

I own a MkIIC+. I believe it was upgraded some time in the early 90s or something. It's the most basic version there is. No EQ, reverb, or anything. Furthermore, the tolex is gone and it is in a rather unattractive plywood case. The grill is a bit ripped too. I have been keeping it this way for a while because I don't mind, and it makes it much less likely to be stolen than a beautiful looking amplifier. I even removed the handle so you have to pick it up by the corners or use a cart.

That brings me to my issue: I have been gigging for a couple years down in Los Angeles, and I don't think I really need such a beast of an amp. I love it dearly, but I just am not playing it as much or loudly as it should be played. I am considering selling it, but I'm not sure what my best course of action would be.

Considering how it looks, would it be better for me to re-tolex it and get a new grill, or try to sell it as is?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I can also maybe post pics.

Well, I decided I need to downsize. It hasn't moved for months. I'd appreciate any information about what I can get for it:

1. As is. Sounds/plays fine but looks terrible.
2. If I put it into a new shell.

Thanks.

If it's a bare-bones upgrade from a IIC and really fucked up you probably won't get much more than $1400, because most guys who aren't scraping for cash would rather have a cosmetically nice amp and C+s aren't that rare on the market, they are just pricey.

Decent shell you could go up to $2K if you are willing to hold out for a price and ship. The latter bit is the secret; if you don't need cash right now and are willing to undertake the hassle of packing and shipping ebay is the best way to get a higher price.

JOEY B. said:
CoG said:
C+s aren't that rare on the market, they are just pricey.

Find me another "loaded" Simulclass model and I'll show you how rare they are. Nevermind the price. :shock:

That's fair but I don't think someone who doesn't already have a IIC+ and is planning to actually play the thing would *not* pick up a 60W barebones upgrade instead of holding out for, like, a hardwood Coli (if such a thing even exists, which I doubt.) And even if you do find a loaded simul, it's still gonna set you back less than a non-master Super Lead, and there's more of those around. C+s are not on the top shelf of collectible amps, where there's scarcity it's partially because there weren't that many made in the first place--which isn't the same thing as scarcity due to demand.

(note that this has nothing to do with whether C+s are awesome or not, which they are.)

Hmm, thanks for the advice. Is this board a good place to list the amp? I'm in the Hollywood area, so I guess locally might be alright as well.

CoG said:
JOEY B. said:
CoG said:
C+s aren't that rare on the market, they are just pricey.

Find me another "loaded" Simulclass model and I'll show you how rare they are. Nevermind the price. :shock:

That's fair but I don't think someone who doesn't already have a IIC+ and is planning to actually play the thing would *not* pick up a 60W barebones upgrade instead of holding out for, like, a hardwood Coli (if such a thing even exists, which I doubt.) And even if you do find a loaded simul, it's still gonna set you back less than a non-master Super Lead, and there's more of those around. C+s are not on the top shelf of collectible amps, where there's scarcity it's partially because there weren't that many made in the first place--which isn't the same thing as scarcity due to demand.

(note that this has nothing to do with whether C+s are awesome or not, which they are.)

I could see more "collectors" buying vintage Marshalls than any Boogie. The "players" would buy one of the Plexi clones from one of the many builders of such amps. There IS a such thing as a hardwood Coli C+. A forum member on here has/had one, from what I recall. 8)

CoG said:
If it's a bare-bones upgrade from a IIC and really f%&# up you probably won't get much more than $1400, because most guys who aren't scraping for cash would rather have a cosmetically nice amp and C+s aren't that rare on the market, they are just pricey.

Decent shell you could go up to $2K if you are willing to hold out for a price and ship. The latter bit is the secret; if you don't need cash right now and are willing to undertake the hassle of packing and shipping ebay is the best way to get a higher price.

Doubtful a bare bones (no EQ, No Reverb) 60 watt IIC upgraded to a C+ combo is going to fetch $1400.
Probably more like ~$1000

With a beat up combo shell it'd be less.

On ebay he "may" get a little more but then he'd lose 10% of the final selling price due to ebay/ paypal fees.

Well, got my new cab and I took it to boogie to get the on/off replaced. It's looking and sounding great, but I'm going to have to get rid of it. I'm seeing some big differences in price. As low as 1000, and up to 2? If I post this up in the classifieds, what would be reasonable? Thanks again to everybody for their help.

-Kerry

Kerry said:
Well, got my new cab and I took it to boogie to get the on/off replaced. It's looking and sounding great, but I'm going to have to get rid of it. I'm seeing some big differences in price. As low as 1000, and up to 2? If I post this up in the classifieds, what would be reasonable? Thanks again to everybody for their help.

-Kerry
Post some pics, it'll be easier to advise you after seeing it.

I will post pics asap, but I have a new question.

Does every single knob on the Mark II C+ have a push/pull? Mine does, and I was just curious if that was different than others.

Latest posts

Back