Different Mark 3 models, which is best/worst? -Possible mods

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob227

Reaction score
Out of the variety of Mark 3 models which are the best and worst of the bunch?

The purple stripe seems to be the least sought after of the bunch and the lowest in value. Is there much difference between the models and can one be turned into another with minor modifications?

There is a purple stripe head available in my area and I am considering checking it out but how good is it compared to the other models of Mark 3's?

Personally, I like my current purple stripe more than I liked my blue stripe. The blue stripe seemed a little brighter and fizzier in the lead mode.

I have a green and kind of regret getting rid of my purple stripe. The biggest difference between any Mark IIIs is that the R2 channel on the black/no-stripe and purple is quite a bit lower-gain than on the later ones. However, it has a fuller sound with more bass than the later R2s and takes pedals really nicely to get a very heavy crunch.

Mark IIIs are all great amps, there's not really that much point to holding out for a particular stripe. Whether or not it has the EQ is a MUCH bigger difference.

Yeah, R2 on my blue stripe never really did it for me, but it sounds just right on my purple. Granted, the blue didn't have the R2 volume mod, and the purple does, but even after taking that into account there was a change for the worse as the models went on IMO.

Are you still reading, Rob? Get out there and go buy your MkIII!! :D

Yea I'm still reading! It just dawned on me though that I will need a short head if I want to rack mount the amp. Who know's, I might just grab it anyway.

I checked out some video's on youtube. This one of a red stripe sounds ideal for what I want but all of them sound pretty good. Is it just me or does the class A section sound noticeably better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acjcoYqGOKc

Unless I'm playing outdoors and need the added power, class A mode is all I use anymore.

Latest posts

Back