The Mark IV thread....!!

Mark I's, II's, III's and the almight IV

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

stephen sawall
Single Recto

Re: The Mark IV thread....!!

Post by stephen sawall » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:31 am

My guess is 1991/ 1992.
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

misterbee
Bottle Rocket

Post by misterbee » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:42 pm

That's what I assumed. Much thanks😎

Ashstrodamus
Bottle Rocket

Post by Ashstrodamus » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:30 pm

My Mark IV B has serial #006703 and found the date on the PC board 7-9-93. Just how early is that for a IVB I wonder?

ShredPowLines
Bottle Rocket

Post by ShredPowLines » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:38 pm

Hello all!

Brand new member of the Mesa Boogie Clan, as I picked up a Mark IV wide body combo amp locally at a very shocking price. Externally thing looks mint and sounds great at low volumes. I haven’t had the opportunity to really crank the volume up yet. Bought from original owner who claims he used it 50 hours tops in a studio environment. I’m inclined to believe him based on our interactions. It looks absolutely mint and sounds fantastic. Serial # is 009XXX. I believe it to be a rev B based on reading this entire thread in giddy anticipation of powering the beast up.

The tubes are original but have little mileage on them. What concerns me after researching the amp tirelessly is the filter capacitors. Do you think I need to replace them to avoid them failing and damaging the amp or should they be good to go with such little mileage on them? This thing has just been collecting dust and I’m worried that that will make the capacitors more susceptible to failure... any help would be greatly appteciated, as this is the first tube amp I’ve owned that’s over 5 Watts.

stephen sawall
Single Recto

Post by stephen sawall » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:45 pm

I bought my Mark IV new on the first run in 1990 and have not replaced the capacitors. This one and a few others I should probably look at.
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

ShredPowLines
Bottle Rocket

Post by ShredPowLines » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:43 pm

Update:

I contacted Mesa directly and they said it’s be another few years before I should be worried about replacing caps. Said boogies from the 80’s are starting to come in for cap replacements but hey haven’t seen many of any mark iv’s sent in for cap replacements

bgh
Mark III

Post by bgh » Thu May 02, 2019 8:09 am

ShredPowLines wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:43 pm
Update:

I contacted Mesa directly and they said it’s be another few years before I should be worried about replacing caps. Said boogies from the 80’s are starting to come in for cap replacements but hey haven’t seen many of any mark iv’s sent in for cap replacements
Good to know. Thanks.
Lefty guitars: Gibson SG standard (1977) • Gibson LP custom (1979)
Amps and such: Mesa Boogie Mark IV-B • Mesa Nomad 45 • Mesa TA-30 • Effectrode Blackbird • Kingsley Jester • AMT SS-11a • Zoom G5

Thaymz
Mark II

Post by Thaymz » Sat May 25, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi all

I bought a mark IV which is on it's way. It is a rev B with the shorter curved faceplate and I've noticed the faceplate has "notches" taken out of the corners. It's certainly not a design on the A, and I think I've seen it on some B models but not all but it's hard to tell from some pics as it's usually dark around that area. Anyone have this on their rev b? Anyone know why some might have it but not others? The serial is in the high 7000s and its a 240v.

It's visible in this video. Couldn't find many pics that show it clearly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vrzt45mVYo

El Rey
Bottle Rocket

Post by El Rey » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 am