The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:29 pm 
Bottle Rocket

A few months ago I swapped out my Mark IV for an H&K Grandmeister 40 as my main live amp. There's a ton of advantages in portability, presets, onboard FX etc but there is just no matching that Mark IV lead tone to my ears - period!

I keep my Mark IV in my den and I've been back to playing it a lot recently, I'd like to ask you guys about your CH2 settings (crunch/orange). Obviously the clean and lead channels are legendary on this amp but I've never been really impressed with CH2. What kind of settings/pedals do you use to get the most out of this channel? I've tried clean boosts and various overdrives with mediocre results.

Any feedback appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:19 pm 
Mark II

I don't use R1 as much as I used the Lead channel, but it does offer a really nice Plexi-ish sound to my ears. I will use it with the gain at 8 (pulled), treble 8, mid 5.5, bass 3, and presence 8. I use the graphic EQ to boost the bass, and gives it a nice, thick sound that can create a smooth distortion sound depending on my pick attack. I find the orange channel is good if you're looking for something in the ballpark of a late 70's, 80's David Gilmour sound (I'm thinking of the song Short and Sweet from his first solo album). Also, I find the orange channel can be used to play lead, which is something no one ever talks about. I find the Mark IV is so much easier to solo with than the Dual Rectifier solo head was. Instead of fighting the amp, I find the IV almost plays itself.

I will occasionally use an overdrive pedal as a boost, but it changes the sound of the channel a lot. I use a Boss SD-1 from Japan as my main overdrive, and I find I have to dial back the gain a bit on the channel if I use the overdrive pedal. I honestly don't do this a lot anymore because the Lead channel sounds so good without a boost.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48