The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:37 pm 
Bottle Rocket

My recent Mark IV purchase from a pawn shop in Austin has serial number IV1525. Would that be a first year? Maybe second at most I would think.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:28 am 
Bottle Rocket

Wow, the shortbody combo I just bought has a serial in the 4ks, so it should be an A version. It came with a tag that had inspector names and the serial on it, but I don't know where to look to find the serial on the amp itself. I HOPE it's the same 4k serial number, but either way, this thing sounds amazing.

Does anyone know where the serial# is located?

ESP V-401FM E
ESP F-401FM Eb
Jackson quilt Soloist w/Duncan Full Shreds D
Ibanez RG421 Db
ESP EC-401B C
Ibanez RG7421 w/Duncan Distortions B

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:09 am 
Mark IV

It's on the bottom of tranny. Flip the amp upside down and you should see it.

Matt

Mesa MKIV
Mesa Subway Blues
Marshall Class 5 Combo
Binghamtone Amps Twin Jr.

I REALLY NEED TO HAVE MY HEAD EXAMINED!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:16 am 
Bottle Rocket

My MK IV has a volume drop in RH1, I need to max gain and master to get sound out of it. Anyone experienced this?
Never mind, I bought another one in perfect condition.

Last edited by Thewiz on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:07 am 
Bottle Rocket

Hi to you all,

I have just picked up a nice MKIV rev. A combo SN IV 4320.

Did any of you owned this amp previously?

There is a jack, probably a modification (my guess would be a reverb switch) just next to the serial plate, does anyone know about this mod?

Also, has anyone had experience with the Tube Amp Doctor retubing kits for the MKIVa?

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/de/shop_Tu ... _IV_A_3917

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:32 am 
Bottle Rocket

Thewiz wrote:
My MK IV has a volume drop in RH1, I need to max gain and master to get sound out of it. Anyone experienced this?
Never mind, I bought another one in perfect condition.

Yeah had the same problem.

Replace the V1 preamp tube with a new 12AX7.

The V1 slot is the one with the metal housing over it push upwards and give it a slight twist to remove it.

I hope I was able to help you a bit :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:55 pm 
Bottle Rocket

It had all kinds of problems so I bought another one. The new one is a late 2006 and looks like new. Sounds amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:05 pm 
Mark I

Hi,
I currently run my mk ivA combo with a thiele cab (both with ev speakers) and it sounds great. The only problem is the combo weighs around 50Kg in the flight case so is a bit of a back breaker to say the least. I recently acquired a head shell and re housed the amp (I was lucky to find a mint condition 1991 shell) but I soon returned the amp back to the combo since the 1x12 lacked something by my itself (I'm guessing because it's very directional...and was probably killing the guy sitting at the bar!). The mix of the open backed combo and the ported thiele really does sound great.

However someone I know is selling a vertical closed back 2x12 boogie cab for a good price (currently has v30s but I guess I could swap one or 2 for my EVs). I know tone is a matter of taste, but how would a 2x12 vertical cab compare to the combo/thiele combination I currently use?? I'm guessing it would also be a back breaker...but I've checked it out and it's only 34Kgs instead of 50! I generally play classic rock, blues and a bit of metal. Anyone give me some advice here???

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:18 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I'm thinking about adding a long Mark IV and have a question about size. I like using a 1x12 rectifier can which is 18 2/3" wide across the top. I know the Mark IV is wider then that. Are the feet positioned so that it will sit on top of the cabinet and just overhand a bit or will it wobble, etc...?

I guess I could always put a pc of heavy plywood or something sturdy across the top of my cab to support the head if that is an issue?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:00 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Qstick333 wrote:
I'm thinking about adding a long Mark IV and have a question about size. I like using a 1x12 rectifier can which is 18 2/3" wide across the top. I know the Mark IV is wider then that. Are the feet positioned so that it will sit on top of the cabinet and just overhand a bit or will it wobble, etc...?

I guess I could always put a pc of heavy plywood or something sturdy across the top of my cab to support the head if that is an issue?

Thanks!
I'll answer this for you when I get back from the store in about an hour. I gotta grab a tape measure and go out to my shop.

Edit: Okay, footprint is 20 3/4" x 8 1/2". Mind you, that's to the edge of each rubber footing, so I'd suggest cutting the platform at least an inch extra per side, ie 22 3/4" x 10 1/2".

On another note, my serial # is 006703 and has the FX Loop, so by all means should be a MIVB, but I swear I remember Boogie telling me mine had the A circuitry when I had it repaired around the early 2000's(New transistors I think, can't remember, but cost me like $350). I bought this amp brand new in Dec. of either '93 or '94, can't remember which. It has the attached power cable and I think that was indicative of A's and early B's.

Picture of my rig and knob has since been repaired. On my 2nd footswitch:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:16 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Got the chance to hear my 1991 Mark IVa through a 4x12 finally. Holy balls, Batman! The cab is a Mills Afterburner with v30's and k-100's in an x pattern. I sold my last 4x12 10 years ago along with the Mark III blue stripe head. Figured with the band splitting there wasn't gonna be a need for the big equipment anymore.

The 4x12 adds a 3d quality to the Mesa's sound. You can really push the bass and low mids without getting muddy. I notice this on all channels, but I'm most impressed with what happens to the clean channel. You know that super deep yet clear thump you get on the neck pickup of a LP when playing in a heavy-handed, broken chords style? It really shines in that feel. The bass is chest punching yet full and warm with no breakup. Single notes jump right off the fretboard!

I can't remember much about the Mark III/Mesa Trad 4x12 v30 pair other than it sounded awesome and I got compliments on my tone a lot. I don't know if I would get the same sound out of a mesa cab or if it has more to do with the 4x12 vs the 1x12 I've been playing through. Either way, I am a happy camper right now!

Mark IVA Compact Combo #3185 (EVM12L)
Mills Acoustics Afterburner V30's and K100's
Gibson LP Studio (EMG81 & 85)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:59 pm 
Mark III

Ashstrodamus wrote:
Qstick333 wrote:
I

That is a truly rare guitar; very limited production. I remember seeing it in the ~'91 Ibanez catalog, which I still have. 8)

Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA
Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 XL + Exotic
Fender Tele USA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:02 pm 
Mark III

JDH85 wrote:
Got the chance to hear my 1991 Mark IVa through a 4x12 finally. Holy balls, Batman! The cab is a Mills Afterburner with v30's and k-100's in an x pattern. I sold my last 4x12 10 years ago along with the Mark III blue stripe head. Figured with the band splitting there wasn't gonna be a need for the big equipment anymore.

The 4x12 adds a 3d quality to the Mesa's sound. You can really push the bass and low mids without getting muddy. I notice this on all channels, but I'm most impressed with what happens to the clean channel. You know that super deep yet clear thump you get on the neck pickup of a LP when playing in a heavy-handed, broken chords style? It really shines in that feel. The bass is chest punching yet full and warm with no breakup. Single notes jump right off the fretboard!

I can't remember much about the Mark III/Mesa Trad 4x12 v30 pair other than it sounded awesome and I got compliments on my tone a lot. I don't know if I would get the same sound out of a mesa cab or if it has more to do with the 4x12 vs the 1x12 I've been playing through. Either way, I am a happy camper right now!

Yes, it does make a BIG difference to play through a 4x12 cab! You should hear it with TWO Mark 4x12s with the original speakers that Mesa intended to be heard with that amp! :shock: :shock: :shock:

When they asked Conan the Barbarian "What is best in life?", you probably remember his answer.

My answer is feeling the thump in your chest for every single note on your high E string!! :twisted:

Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA
Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 XL + Exotic
Fender Tele USA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:28 am 
Mark II

Good Lord it's been about 6 years since I last posted on this site! Crazy how time just disappears like water in the California sun. I just wanted to share that I finally ordered a Mark IV head and will have it sometime next week. I sold my DC-3 head in 2015, as it wasn't quite my sound on the lead channel. If I like the Mark IV enough, I might sell my Marshall DSL100. Trying to condense the rig to what I really need these days. I'll post pics of the Mark IV when it arrives. Looking forward to finally owning one of them!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 pm 
Mark II

Wow guys, all I had to do is turn this thing on and plug in, and it sounds amazing. However, it's going to take me a long time to figure out how to take advantage of every little option in this thing. It's one in the early B models. Whoever owned this before looks like they barely used it. It still has the black blue print thing and the QC sticker. I think I've finally found the head that can replace my Marshal DSL100. I like that the IV can run at 30 watts, which is better for me these days as mostly a studio and hobby player. I play guitars that run a little bit on the darker side in tone, but this amp is not muddy at all with either of my guitars. I am convinced I can achieve all the sounds I need with this amp. Glad I sold my DC-3 to get this one.

There is only one thing I'm a little worried about. When I turn up the Reverb knob on the back, the amp just gets a little louder and doesn't sound like reverb has been added. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong, or if this amp needs to be brought to an amp doctor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47