The Mark IV thread....!!

Mark I's, II's, III's and the almight IV

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Ednolb
Mark II

Post by Ednolb » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:02 pm

The amp in the pics is definitely a B (no tolex, the FX loop, the placing of the logo), however he describes it as an A from 1992 with a serial number that might match that period (mine is from 1993 with serial number 13xx).
I don't mean to worry you, but something is not right on that auction. Ask him for a picture of the actual serial number, it's the only way to know for sure. The serial number is located on the bottom of the chassis, so it's easy to access.

Fireflyparadise
Bottle Rocket

Post by Fireflyparadise » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:49 am

A-5best wrote:So I just won the auction of Mark IV and will soon be an official Boogie owner.

I think it is a series A but the "Mark IV" in the front is very close to the standby switch. It is a 1992 but looks to be in very good condition, do you think the caps will need replacement or anything?

Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2759.l1259
you son of a *****! you outbid me!

lucky. I am sad... Good luck with your amp. :)

wiorys
Bottle Rocket

Post by wiorys » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:54 am

Hi guys

I think I'm going to buy mesa Mark IV or III.
I've heard that MK III (I can't afford MKIIc+) tone is better than Mark IV.

1. Is it really a big difference? Some ppl say Mark III is more aggresive. Is there anything else like more dimensional sound or something?

2. How does it (Mark IV) work on the scene? Does it cut through?

I know that Mesa IV was used on many recordings (studio), but I haven't seen any famous guitarist using it on live performances. Why? I'm very, very curious.
:idea:
I don't think its tweaking problem(the biggest disadvantage of mark iv?), many guitarist use one channel amps without problems.

I've heard that Mark IV can sound flat, 2-dimensional in live situations(?).

3. I've got Marshall 6100, it's very nice amp with good opinion, but it can't get me into metal territory without external pedal/eq. It excels at rock, hard rock, 3D open tones etc, but not heavy metal or Whitesnake, Dio tones.
I've tried some guitars and I think I need other amplifier or nice pedal.

I've sold my Single Rectifier too. If it comes to distortion, I liked only Vintage mode, but it was too "flubby/muddy". Anyway, I don't use much gain but I like nice saturated(but still dynamic) tone.
Modern has too much bite, bass sounded a bit unnatural imho, highs were too fizzy for me.
It was easy to play(rectifier), but I'm seeking something more demanding (responsive to my articulation, like some VHT amps).

And I like versatility :)
I think I'm just seeking something between marshall&recto.

12AX7
Bottle Rocket

Post by 12AX7 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:32 am

Hello,

I'm new to this board, so, while reading previous post:

I've got a Mesa MarkIVa combo, Serialnumber 1995. It has 2 EL34 Svetlana Winged C tubes, 2 Groove Tubes 6L6GC and EV speaker in it.

For the rehearsels, I'm using a Sovtek Mig100 with a 4x12 inch original vintage Celestions 12H30 greenbacks speaker, an ADA mp1 and Roland GP8 in front of it, but this one is too big for transportation for live performance.

So, I'm using the Boogie Mark IV for live performance. Last weekend we had to perform on scene. Setup, live on stage: Boogie Mark IV Combo, with Nobels MS8 MIDI switcher and GP8 in front. Settings: Tweed Power, Master volume on 2 1/2. With these settings, I'm cutting through everything !!!! :-)
Not one single problem, after 15 minutes playing, our keyboard player asked me to lower my volume ..... We are playing rock, hardrock + Santana style of music.
At the end of the show, just for testing, I've put the Mark IV on Full Power Rhtythm 2, and General Power Amp Master on 7 ( channel masters on 3 ), and I just had hit 1 chord on my guitar ( Gibson Les Paul ).
Place filled up with about 200 people, no PA, just right into the tent. They all started to applaus ....... :-)

So, don't worry about the Mark IV !!

I saw the Mark IV live on stage with 2 groups in the Netherlands, one of them was "Rob De Nijs" early 90's. His guitarplayer had the same Mark IV combo as I have now. I'm sure a lot of famous bands are using them, but they are hidden backstage, or maybe they don't want the world to know how they get there incredible good tone ?

Best regards.
I'm not really a good guitarplayer. I'm just playing guitar to hear the sound of those tube amps!

SgtPatton
Bottle Rocket

Post by SgtPatton » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:44 am

Yeah! Just bought Mark IV yesterday...The quest for TONE is finally over!
Mesa Boogie Mark IV (A) Medium Head
Mesa Boogie Mark V - head *SOLD*
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12

+Bunch of expensive guitars

Ahess86
Mark I

Post by Ahess86 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:28 pm

I apologize if this has already been asked in this thread/forum but I couldn't find the answer so here goes...

Can anyone tell me which Mark IV (A or B) John Petrucci uses? Just something I've been wondering for a while. Do more pro's prefer one versus the other, or is it just another apples/oranges type deal?

EirikBrandal
Mark III

Post by EirikBrandal » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:02 pm

Petrucci uses a B. I can't imagine that he got a old one from Mesa.
PRS Custom 24 w/ lundgren M6
TC Electronics Nova System
MI Audio Tube Zone Overdrive
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
4x12 Standard Rectifier Cabinet

http://www.hamuemon.moo.no
http://www.myspace.com/hamuemon

Malenfant
Bottle Rocket

Post by Malenfant » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:05 pm

Hail to the board by a noob,

I'm sorry for this probably yet asked question, but anybody knows what's the power consumption of a Mark IV, or otherwise, maybe someone got an amperometric clamp to check it?

Thanks.

pixy
Mark II

Post by pixy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:27 am

SgtPatton wrote:Yeah! Just bought Mark IV yesterday...The quest for TONE is finally over!
:twisted: i feel the same way.Hope it will last me this time ...DAMN GAS!!!:P
THE SPIRIT OF ART IN TECHNOLOGY

EirikBrandal
Mark III

Post by EirikBrandal » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:39 am

pixy wrote:
SgtPatton wrote:Yeah! Just bought Mark IV yesterday...The quest for TONE is finally over!
:twisted: i feel the same way.Hope it will last me this time ...DAMN GAS!!!:P
haha! yeah, but it's funny!
PRS Custom 24 w/ lundgren M6
TC Electronics Nova System
MI Audio Tube Zone Overdrive
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
4x12 Standard Rectifier Cabinet

http://www.hamuemon.moo.no
http://www.myspace.com/hamuemon

pixy
Mark II

Post by pixy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:08 am

yeah..it might be funny, but its goddamn expensive thats for sure, and i cant hide the budget from my wife anymore :lol: :shock:
anyhow important is that i got the mark IV (A version) and it worthed any penny spend, sounds simply beatifull i can't wait to tweak it to death :twisted:
THE SPIRIT OF ART IN TECHNOLOGY

SgtPatton
Bottle Rocket

Post by SgtPatton » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:05 am

I hear Ya! I have also A-model. Really, really nice sounds...And I don't have wife, so I can buy all the gear I can get BUHAHAHAA!!!
Mesa Boogie Mark IV (A) Medium Head
Mesa Boogie Mark V - head *SOLD*
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12

+Bunch of expensive guitars

Xqzdust
Mark II

Post by Xqzdust » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:07 pm

My wife likes the way a hardwood and wicker boogie looks so much that she actually wanted me to get one. She wants me to get a PRS for the same reason! Randall and Paul Reed! Those Smiths are geniuses. They make gear that my wife wants me to have!
'66 Firebird (like Gatemouth's)
'68 Goldtop w/p-90's
'85 Cherry red 335 dot neck
'86 Cherry sunburst Les Paul
'08 Clapton Strat (Black sheep of the family!)
'11 Martin HD-28 (Suh Weet!)
'?? Mark IV A in Koa w/matching Theile!

Brain2Me2
Bottle Rocket

Post by Brain2Me2 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:46 pm

Xqzdust wrote:My wife likes the way a hardwood and wicker boogie looks so much that she actually wanted me to get one. She wants me to get a PRS for the same reason! Randall and Paul Reed! Those Smiths are geniuses. They make gear that my wife wants me to have!
That's why I always go for the not normal colored equipment...I have an all Rosewood Axis, and it looks awesome in the living room. :D

Mizati20
Mark II

Quick question...

Post by Mizati20 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:34 pm

WOW I am so glad I found this forum, truly one of the best finds since my Mark IV that is on it's way :o) I owned a Mark IV in the past and didn't give it enough time and came to the conclusion it "sucked" and sold it...BIG MISTAKE. Anyway, long story short I realized the errors of my ways after spending quite a bit of time with a friends Mark IV and I purchased another.

Here is my question, and I apologize in advance if it is rediculous: I know nothing about ohm ratings, I simply know that my Mesa Standard Cab has an 8 ohm setting and my Bogner Uberschall can be switched to 8 ohms. Presently I have the Uberschall plugged into the 8ohm jack on my cab as I just stated, is it possible to have 2 heads plugged into 1 cab at the same time? And if so, if I am already using the 8ohm slot for my Uberschall, what would I plug my Mark IV into when it gets here? Or is this even possible, again I apologize if this is in incredibly simple, or stupid question, but nonetheless it is a dilemma I am faced with, and after reading through this entire Mark IV section there is definately no other place I would like to get info from, everyone on here is so informative! Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated....THANKS!

Kit