Mark IV Triode problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needsmoregear12

Reaction score
Hello all.

Im looking into buying a Mark IV combo for a nice price. Its in great condition besides the fact that when you switch it to Triode mode, all you hear is a hum and no guitar signal goes through.

Is this a major problem? Is it a common problem people have with these amps? If its fixable, can any one give me an estimate on how much they THINK it would cost to have it fixed?

Id really like to go through with it as Ive always wanted a Mark IV, but I dont know if this can be considered a deal breaker.

Thank you all :mrgreen:

Thank you for the info.

Ive called mesa twice this past week and they still havnt gotten back to me. First call was monday and second was yesterday (Friday).

Yea I had a feeling shipping would be pretty expensive...

Thing is, I might get it for $810. So ill have to find out the repair cost, then factor that in and compare it with the others I see...

I hate being so impatient :x

Thanks again! :)

Allrighty, Will do.

If you were in my position, would you just go through with it for the $815 and save up for a bit to pay for the repair? If everything else works besides that I think I should be fine for a while.

Just looking for more opinions to help sway me towards the better decision :)

Allright thanks. Im gonna do the right thing and keep on waiting :cry:

It seems as though Mark IV combos are only going for a little bit more than Mark III's. I think Im just going to save up for another IV.

Thanks for the help :)

ALSO. Are there many tonal differences between the widebody combo and the normal sized combo? Thanks

Allright. Thanks.

I dont think It will be anything major, probably a bit more open sounding? More bass?

Just wanted to make sure there werent any differences in the features. Ill be happy with either one I can get a hole of :D

druckpig said:
needsmoregear12 said:
Allright thanks. Im gonna do the right thing and keep on waiting :cry:

It seems as though Mark IV combos are only going for a little bit more than Mark III's. I think Im just going to save up for another IV.

Thanks for the help :)

ALSO. Are there many tonal differences between the widebody combo and the normal sized combo? Thanks

I havent heard the wide body in person ,but I know someone who just bought one and he has told me that there is a slight difference in sound compared to the normal size combo

That person is me :D , there is definitely a difference between the Widebody and the short combo, whether this is down to the voicing of the B or the size of the cab..

Used it in anger yesterday at a gig and where I used to use the Graphic to get enough Low End with my old A shorty, I found yesterday that I don't need to use the Graphic anymore.

Also, there is a bit more gain on tap with the B, some people would probably disagree, but the feel is definitely different.

Either IV's (a, b, widebody) are great amps, and I agree with druckpig, steer clear of the broken one unless its financially sesnsible to buy it/ship it back for repair..

Thanks for the info of the Mark IV's :)

Ive moved on from the damaged one. I found one for a pretty good price. Its barely out of my pricerange so Im trying to see if the guy can drop it just a small bit. I returned my Randall RM100C
to guitar center yesterday and got my $530 back. Now I need to sell my 5150 212 for atleast $550.

Then I think I can finally purchase a Mark IV :mrgreen:

druckpig said:
needsmoregear12 said:
Thanks for the info of the Mark IV's :)

Ive moved on from the damaged one. I found one for a pretty good price. Its barely out of my pricerange so Im trying to see if the guy can drop it just a small bit. I returned my Randall RM100C
to guitar center yesterday and got my $530 back. Now I need to sell my 5150 212 for atleast $550.

Then I think I can finally purchase a Mark IV :mrgreen:

Thats good , you will get there.... good luck with it

Thank you :)

AS FOR THE TRIODE PROBLEM...

I got a call back from Boogie today while in class. He briefly said he hadn't heard of anything like this. Its not common. But he doesnt imagine it being an expensive repair.

Repair cost is usually $100/hour. Hes not sure how many hours it would take. Plus shipping costs?

Im glad you guys persuaded me to stay away from that Mark IV! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back