Convince me to keep my Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

>Photi G<

Reaction score
As you know, I love my Mark III blue stripe to death, and have spent a lot of time tinkering with it. It has some great tones, great versatility, and a great history. Not to mention an automatic membership here in the vintage Marks forum :mrgreen: . After three years or so of owning/tweaking/playing it, I learned a lot, but several things tell me that it just might not be the amp for me.

1.) I get the sound in my head with this amp, no doubt about it. But only when the stars are aligned just right. The amp is temperamental, and really won't hold its sound for more than 2 weeks without touching any knobs. This is frustrating, since I don't get to play as often as I'd like, and when I do, I want some instant gratification, which is completely reasonable considering I've tweaked it to where I like it, but it just doesn't sound the same from day to day.

2.) It needs a tune up, which means all caps need to be replaced, and a few tubes. I just don't have the money to do it right now, so I thought just passing it on would take the burden off of my shoulders.

3.) It may be small and compact, but loud and responsive, but it's so **** heavy. Whenever I go out to jam, I have to haul this up my basement stairs, to the garage, into my car, and out of my car whenever I get to the session. Plus, I'll be moving out this summer, so I need something that's a bit more portable

4.) The market for vintage Marks is hot right now. I just checked on eBay, and Marks that were worth $800 last year are being sold for $1100 today. I can make a tidy profit if I try to sell now.

So, What should I do? I want to keep it because it's a Mark, and it sounds great, but If I sell it, I can use the money to buy something more practical. I've been eyeing a TA-15/1x12 setup for a while now. So I'd still be in the Boogie family, just not in the Mark series realm. Decisions, decisions... :roll:

Geez George..
sounds like practicality is coming to the fore.. and given these are heavy devices that's understandable.
How much (ballpark) weight would U be saving with a TA-15/1x12 - or even other brand 1x12 ?
FWIW, all my combo's are roadcased. I always lift up/down stairs, and usually carry from car to indoors - rattling tubes + reverb springs over uneven ground is a recipe for failure IMHO.
Yes, I'm not Mr Universe, but I figure it's a trade-off I need to accept.
Re the variable sounds, do U suspect it's a component(s) which is "failing" - the solution to your sound dilemma could be very cheap although it sounds a subtle change and so likely difficult to trace.. Bummer. :x
I'd have thought caps over your side of the pond would be cheap- they're **** expensive Down Under, amd most of that is postage.. :(

Undoubtedly you'll have many more deep thoughts - good luck with your choice(s)!
DB

>Photi G< said:
As you know, I love my Mark III blue stripe to death, and have spent a lot of time tinkering with it. It has some great tones, great versatility, and a great history. Not to mention an automatic membership here in the vintage Marks forum :mrgreen: . After three years or so of owning/tweaking/playing it, I learned a lot, but several things tell me that it just might not be the amp for me.

It seems like it really IS the amp for you, but maybe you're just GAS'ing for just something new? Of course, this board would miss a Mark III member.. 8)

>Photi G< said:
1.) I get the sound in my head with this amp, no doubt about it. But only when the stars are aligned just right. The amp is temperamental, and really won't hold its sound for more than 2 weeks without touching any knobs. This is frustrating, since I don't get to play as often as I'd like, and when I do, I want some instant gratification, which is completely reasonable considering I've tweaked it to where I like it, but it just doesn't sound the same from day to day.

Hmm..I've had my same settings for a few years now without even touching the knobs and I'm still completely satisfied with my tone. When was the last time you've given it a nice tube overhaul in both the power and preamp sections? That could make a world of difference--giving the amp a different feel and response that may be able to coax some different thoughts on this.

>Photi G< said:
2.) It needs a tune up, which means all caps need to be replaced, and a few tubes. I just don't have the money to do it right now, so I thought just passing it on would take the burden off of my shoulders.

Hold on to it until you can afford to do it. I'm more then willing to bet you'd miss it a **** load down the road. These amps can pretty much do anything tonally after all.

>Photi G< said:
3.) It may be small and compact, but loud and responsive, but it's so **** heavy. Whenever I go out to jam, I have to haul this up my basement stairs, to the garage, into my car, and out of my car whenever I get to the session. Plus, I'll be moving out this summer, so I need something that's a bit more portable

See below.

>Photi G< said:
4.) The market for vintage Marks is hot right now. I just checked on eBay, and Marks that were worth $800 last year are being sold for $1100 today. I can make a tidy profit if I try to sell now.

You're right,the market for these older amps seems to be on fire right now. Just making it that much harder if you want to get one back.

>Photi G< said:
So, What should I do? I want to keep it because it's a Mark, and it sounds great, but If I sell it, I can use the money to buy something more practical. I've been eyeing a TA-15/1x12 setup for a while now. So I'd still be in the Boogie family, just not in the Mark series realm. Decisions, decisions... :roll:

My opinion: ( If you haven't guessed) I think you should keep the amp. It seems it may be the perfect fitting amp for you after some minor adjustments ( tube changes?) and an overhaul from Mike B. when you can afford to do so. I'm assuming you have a combo version? I think what you should do as a cheaper alternative is to maybe pick up one of the Bugera V22's ( 8) ..look into 'em when you get a chance--everyone loves 'em). I'll be honest, for the cheap money they are--they have some really nice chimey cleans and a nice dirty channel. Throw a boost or an overdrive in front and you have some nice versatility for close to nothing. I've heard (and played) a few in person now and have been quite impressed. I think it's a great alternative that may be your ultimate 'grab-n-go' for when you don't feel like grabbing the Mark III. Give one a chance when you can. You just may be happy you did!

I'm in the same ballpark - my Mark III needs a capjob/slight tuneup to be a true knockdown killer (not like it isn't), but what it is is still truly a tone monster. What the TA-15 is; is alot. But to me, it's kinda like having the most hotrodded AC30 ever - but you would miss your Mark III so much dude. You would miss the balls. The metal. The sweet singing california it spews out. The TA-15 is awesome, and it rocks and rolls all day, but so does the Mark III in it's own right.

You know what I did when I got "the itch"? I got a Marshall. A Vintage Modern to fill in that Soldano sounding gap + the Plexi vibe and some of those in between sounds. That's what I needed for my other sounds! Maybe if you love the TA-15 but don't wanna ditch the Mark III, check out some cheap VOX amps like the AC15's, they can really grind it out and their cleans are so killer. It may be your "mistress" amp that lets you cheat on your mesa like the marshall is for me...

i'd say keep it.

They don't make'em any more. If you sell it, you'll likely have to pay at least as much to get another one once you start kicking yourself for having let it go in the first place. As others have stated, a new set of tubes will likely help a lot. The cap job is unfortunate, but yours not special: they all need it eventually. As for the weight, you could break it out into a head + cab. ( i assume you've got a combo ) If you *need* a lighter amp like the TA-15, i'd say save the $ & get one but keep the III. (btw, i've plugged into a TA-15 & didn't care for it much compared to my MIII's)

I'd agree with others on this - if you like that sound you will have a hard time finding it in other amps and if the prices are going up it would just make it harder to get another in future. I sold a MkIII years ago and went through a load of other stuff, some Boogie and some not and am now almost back full circle with a MkIV. Could've saved a lot of money sticking with what I had.

The main reason for the post is a comment on the instant gratification thing - I am not sure thats just an issue with your amp. I often suffer the same thing and I have seen lots of people posting the same complaint on here about different amps. The story is always the same, spending hours tweaking to get the perfect sound then coming back a few days later and its worse than before. I have a base setup that sounds good to me but I have often spent an hour or two tweaking, and going away thinking I'd really improved it, then when I switch on next time thinking thats not right and going back more or less to what I had. There are lots of factors that affect the tone you hear back, not least your own mood, how you are playing, how long you have been listening (ears adjust) but also the room, number of people in the room, the volume, weather, how warmed-up the amp is, the floor its sat on. One thing I do find difficult tweaking at home is the touchy master volume on the Marks. At home volumes the tiniest touch to the master seems to change not just the volume but the feel of the amp. Thing is I've gone through this process at times with several amps and I think for those of us searching for a very specific tone it might be our own perception of the tone than the amp itself. Maybe ask others you play with/to and see what they think??

Definitely keep it if you can. Getting it worked on a bit (caps and whatever else) might make the tone a little more consistent. Just throwing out ideas there, it might not either. I was in the same boat almost, and I sold my Mark III. Just recently though, I found the same one because I sold it locally and got it back! Quite happy with it now. It sounds like you've got a combo, and you could always convert it down the line to a head (that's what I'm doing right now). It'll make it so you can make 2 lighter trips as opposed to 1 heavy one when moving it.

Neptical said:
It seems like it really IS the amp for you, but maybe you're just GAS'ing for just something new? Of course, this board would miss a Mark III member.. 8)

That's probably the case, actually. :lol: GAS to the point where I'm willing to make a sacrifice. I just hope that if I ever get the chance to try one, I'll be extremely disappointed, and use the money to recondition my Mark III, and maybe convert it to a short head/Thiele setup. Maybe a good attenuator to complement the 15w setting will also be a good investment.

I'd be extremely sad to let it go. Maybe I'll just save up and get a TA-15 to tinker with on its own.

>Photi G< said:

I wouldn't count on this. Last summer I decided I wanted a traditional headbox for my III instead of a rackmount, and I decided to just pick up a purple stripe long head for $800 and sell my rackmount blue stripe, figuring I'd at least break even. I took a beating on that one.

>Photi G< said:

Well, first off why asked to be convinced if you already are ... :lol:
Code:
So 
#1 & #2 are inter-related.  Plus, the darn knobs will always adjust as if air has moved across the rollers.
#3 is a great way to tell people how playing guitar and Mesa Engineering strives to keep one fit.  And 
#4 only hold water if you want to wait until these things are worth five figures AND you are ready to live a life of retirement.

O.K. Seriously do the cap job and other necessary maintenance items so the thing stays put once dialed in. If you could send it to Mike at Mesa that would be the topper. I have been using mine since getting it back from him about a month ago and it can not be touched for tone! Hands down!!
I can get help to move it when I want. And I have a little practice amp I picked up for $60.00 for that type of thing.
As far as selling, I really am holding out until I retire.
Hopefully others are more convincing. :?

Dennis

>Photi G< said:
Neptical said:

That's probably the case, actually. :lol: GAS to the point where I'm willing to make a sacrifice. I just hope that if I ever get the chance to try one, I'll be extremely disappointed, and use the money to recondition my Mark III, and maybe convert it to a short head/Thiele setup. Maybe a good attenuator to complement the 15w setting will also be a good investment.

I'd be extremely sad to let it go. Maybe I'll just save up and get a TA-15 to tinker with on its own.

I knew it! haha

We've all been there. :wink:

You said it--that's what I would do is convert to head when you can. I think you've had enough convincing advice here to keep it anyways. Ha ha!

The TA-15 doesn't have anything on the Mark III even on it's Class A setting. The versatility alone is enough to warrant that. Also-- FWIW, if you read on the 'Atlantic' forum, there seems to be some minor issues with these, though nothing a big enough factor to not buy one--just something to think about. But in the end, it's really up to you and what you want/makes you happy. Good Luck!

Another thing George,
you've done a MOUNTAIN of work scoping the schematic for your Mk III - surely you're not ready to do the same for a TA-15..LOL LOL :wink: :wink:

Dude, I think every one of us has felt this way at one time of another. Heck, I just bought a Marshall Class 5 to appease that 'nag' for the interim, but know that's not the root issue. And you think your sound changes without touching the knobs? Try gigging it every week...lugging it in and out of the house, car, venue then venue, car, house. I bump the knobs constantly and take iPhone pics before I leave so I can get it close to where I had it. Drives me insane!! I have brown, burned callouses on my hand from the amp handle alone. But would I ever get rid of one of the most important components of my dream tones? Hell no. Even when I get fed up with trying to nail a sound, something stupidly simple happens to make me fall in love again...like just turning off the GEQ. Did that in the middle of last night's gig and forgot how much that can help cut in the mix. Now I have something 'new' to keep my attention for a week. :D

Recap it, get a head chassis and rock on. 8)

If possible, I suggest you purchase your new amp before selling your Mark III. More times than not, you'll find that the new amp you think you need deosn't sound any better than your old one. Since you really dig your present amp (Mark III), you may find that a new amp doesn't measure up. Compare both head-to-head for a while, then decide which to keep.

Also, the Mark's hold their value very well and should contiunue to appreciate in value the future.

Speaking as someone who's owned multiple blue stripe Mark IIIs, here's the #1 reason to keep it: you will miss it if you sell it. :lol:

Having owned two Mark IIIs, a Mark IV, a 2 channel DR, and a Nomad (plus plenty of non-Boogies, but why even mention those), and spent serious quality time with a Tremoverb and a Triaxis, I believe the lead channel of a blue stripe Mark III is the single greatest tone Mesa ever crafted. And IMHO none of their more versatile, more sophisticated later models have been able to perfectly duplicate that sublimely raw, vicious sound.

You'll regret it... :mrgreen:

I bought an RA-100. Loved it. Sold my JC800 and didn't play my green stripe for three, four months, until we were recording a tune that needed an aggressive tone... and I'm running home to grab my Mark! And oh, wait, need to boost the lows a little? Like, say, WITH THESE BIG SLIDERS RIGHT HERE ON THE FRONT? *So* glad I did not sell this amp.

Photi G,

the only reason I'd tried to convince you to sell it would be if I want to have it !

About the weight I can only tell you that I solved the problems like described above.
I devided the Combo and put the Chassis into a pine-wood shell that had been constucted by a joiner here in my home town for 25 bucks. It's two inch higher than an original head so that I could place the reverb can with the leather sack entirely inside on the ground.
I'm running now the Combo-cab "empty", only with the speaker and it doesn't sound worse than before. And now I have two pieces half-weighted than before. It's great !
Even more ! I grabbed myself on ebay a second tolex combo cab with a EV 12L just to prevent the original hardwood cab from beeing damaged when gigging.
It connected both to the two 4 ohm output and it sounds killer !!!
So when everybody of you wants to reduce weight and avoiding a 4 speaker cab, this is a great solution.
I'm questioning, if in this case an aditional Thiele cab would be necessary.
Every professional soud engineer would turn down the basses on the guitar-channel to zero. And, think of the other members in the band :) .

So I think in general every Mark III isn't worth to let it go unless it's absolutely clear that you have found another type for you with a better sound.

In the last years I lent everyone of my guitar-players of my band my redstripe just to see how it would sound in "other hands" and everyone of them would have it.
No chance !
In the next days I'll get a second red-stripe and I'm sooooo happy.

My first one has also to go half around the world to Mesa for servicing and for that costs I could buy a second used one. But the one or the other of us has "to swallow that toad" for this investment, but as we've seen here, the result at the end seems to be in most cases phenomenal.

I'm thinking about to paint my face on both cheeks with two red stripes before going out on stage at every time !

So, go on to enjoy your Mark !!!

Well, yesterday evening I reflected about your "always changing" soud-problem.
Just go there and take the chassis out carefully, take a magnifire and go over the componets carefully from one end to the other. Just look if every component is soldered properly or if there even is something completely unsoldered. It's possible that there's an alteration caused through the warming up und back again.
If you mean, you have found s.th.. try to make some pics and let us see. If not, the amp must be checked.

Cheers

Boy you certainly got some great advice, if the mofo is seriously too heavy get a head only cab from George and then use what ever speaker cab does it for you. The TA-15?? with eEL-84's instead of 6L6 power tubes?? Apples and polar bears....they are two different amps. Sounds like you just need to focus your music career on what will make you happy. New amps last about two weeks in the Inspiration department.

PS: I only sold my Mk III's for Mk IIC+ amps. Mk III's are still in the top five in my world.

Latest posts

Back