Played an converted MKIII to MKIIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusionbear

Reaction score
I went in to my local music shop in Brea and lo! and behold! there was this used MKIII long head sitting in the Mesa section of the store. But when I looked closer, I noticed it was a conversion to MKIIC+ specs. It sounded awesome! I may pick it up, the price was very reasonable....

The OD channel had that open, delicious, IIC+ tone. I wasn't able to open it up because it was in the store, but I may go back and spend some more time with it before someone else snaps it up. :mrgreen:

nice.. Get it while it's hot. then post some pics. What stripe is it and which markings did you see that tipped you that it's a III+? What are they asking? just curious... I can't afford to buy it.

scott

If you like it, I would get it while you can, especially if the price is right. It is a revision, not a conversion. See this thread http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27879&start=60.

zodiac272 said:
nice.. Get it while it's hot. then post some pics. What stripe is it and which markings did you see that tipped you that it's a III+? What are they asking? just curious... I can't afford to buy it.

scott

It is a very early MKIII, but it was converted to MKIIC+ specs, not MKIII+. There is no longer a Rythm 2 channel. Only clean and Lead. I believe it was a no stripe. It has a fresh + sign above the cord. Rich Longacre from MESA looked at it and was pretty sure it is a factory mod. No Reverb either. It needs some TLC though. the EQ sliders need some cleaning and the spider webs need removing. We'll see. Waiting for my Tax Return before I do anything... :cry:

well you may have found something very rare, a Mark III that was converted to a IIC+. I've never heard of that. Does it have a IIC+ or a III face plate? You would really need to pull the chassis on this one to confirm it's a IIC+. look for the RP11A, SP11A or the RP10 preamp circuit board, and look for writing inside the chassis to confirm the work. what was the SN? Which PT does it have?

sounds interesting, keep us updated please...

scott

Don't spray the EQ sliders with contact cleaner or anything else, you'll just wash away what lube there is. You've been warned.

zodiac272 said:
You would really need to pull the chassis on this one to confirm it's a IIC+.

Before any money changed hands, no doubt. For a true conversion to take place, it requires "gutting" the chassis and replacing the PTP power tube sockets with the power tube circuit board, as well as preamp and power supply board swaps. This would seem to be extremely cost prohibative, but I guess it could happen. :?

MrMarkIII said:
Don't spray the EQ sliders with contact cleaner or anything else, you'll just wash away what lube there is. You've been warned.

You have to use the right stuff. I do amp repairs on the side and have 7 different types of cleaners and lubes for pots and sliders.

JOEY B. said:
zodiac272 said:
You would really need to pull the chassis on this one to confirm it's a IIC+.

Before any money changed hands, no doubt. For a true conversion to take place, it requires "gutting" the chassis and replacing the PTP power tube sockets with the power tube circuit board, as well as preamp and power supply board swaps. This would seem to be extremely cost prohibative, but I guess it could happen. :?

It appears that the boards were changed. I am going to request that I be allowed to take some pictures of the guts and send them to Mike B to confirm before I plunk down any money...

yeah, pics are good, maybe they have a return auth #, or maybe Mike B would even remember that specific amp. What options does it have? simul? reverb? export tranny? hardwood?

thanks

scott

zodiac272 said:
yeah, pics are good, maybe they have a return auth #, or maybe Mike B would even remember that specific amp. What options does it have? simul? reverb? export tranny? hardwood?

thanks

scott

It has the MKIIC+ 105 trannie, Simul, Graphic, but no reverb. Extra holes in the bottom of the chassis. I will be going back on Saturday with camera and screwdriver in hand to find out for sure... 8)

this is sounding good... I could live without reverb... lol... wonder what the extra holes are for?

scott

Well guys, my wife and two of my kids are sick, so I have to postpone my recon. As soon as I can, I will visit that store and take pics. Hoping for Tues-Wed.

OK, Here are the pics. I misread the trannie. I am not sure what this amp is????? It looks like a converted MKII to C+ specs?

Here you go:

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/fusionbear/Mystery%20Mesa%20MK/

You experts, enlighten us..... :shock:

What you have there is a Mark IIC w/ the X101 export transformer.

Very well could have been upgraded to a C+.

I can't see the number on the board. There is of course a plus above the power cord, but anyone could put that there.

If it is a good price, grab it.

There are people on this board that can probably tell you exactly what you have.

This amp probably started out as a non-EQ Mark IIC. It was modifed into a Mark IIC+ and the graphic EQ was added later on in the years. That is more than likely where the Mark III faceplate came into existance. If the price is right, I would snatch it up before someone else figures out the mystery.

Back