Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Mark I's, II's, III's and the almight IV

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

4406cuda
Mark III
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by 4406cuda » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:49 pm

THe IIB might be completely different than other Mark amps. Two of my favorite hard rock guitar sounds are:

Mark IIB - Brad Gillis on Ozzy Osboune's Speak Of Devil. I believe he had a pair of them with a chorus in between

Mark III - John Sykes- 1987 White Snake and Blue Murder

Amazing guitar tones from both of those guys!!!

:mrgreen:
Mark V Head
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt

1976 Les Paul Deluxe Standard
1977 Les Paul Custom
1978 Westbury Custom
1985 G&L Rampage
1993 Fender American Tele
2004 MIM Fender Strat - Heavily Modified
2011 Gibson SG Standard

User avatar
themisfit138
Mark III
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:01 am

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by themisfit138 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 pm

Necro bump!
I just had to add my 2 cents. I talked to Mike B and Rich Duvall about the C++ mod, today. Mike said there was less than 15 real ++ mods done. Also, there is no added knob or push pull in the middle. It is just a C+ with much higher gain. Mike B said it was a "Metal Machine" and to not get it done if you don't play metal, because it is not switchable. Hope that clears up a few things.
1985 Mark IIC++
1989 Mark III Blue Combo
1991 Mark IV Short Head

DaveP
Mark III
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:22 pm

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by DaveP » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:54 am

I actually owned one of the factory produced C++ and it does in fact have a push pull middle.
When I purchased the amp I wasn't aware it was a C++ nor even knew it existed. I found out when I sent the amp in for service at Mesa.
Mike B called me with the information. He told me I had one of the original C++'s that were factory produced.

User avatar
themisfit138
Mark III
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:01 am

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by themisfit138 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:38 pm

DaveP wrote:I actually owned one of the factory produced C++ and it does in fact have a push pull middle.
When I purchased the amp I wasn't aware it was a C++ nor even knew it existed. I found out when I sent the amp in for service at Mesa.
Mike B called me with the information. He told me I had one of the original C++'s that were factory produced.
OK, I was just going off of what I was told on the phone the other day.
1985 Mark IIC++
1989 Mark III Blue Combo
1991 Mark IV Short Head

JD
Donating Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by JD » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:50 am

I also own a C++ with a pull switch on the middle knob and also a jack to switch it on the back where the reverb control would be.
Mine doesnt have reverb.
Mesa Boogie Mark 3++ RGX 60W
Axe fx 2
Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp with C+ Mod Ch1 C++ Ch2
Mesa boogie Studio pre with C++ Mod by Mike B
Mesa Boogie Studio pre with C++ Mod

decker
Mark I
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:39 am

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by decker » Sat May 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi,

I've got several question :

1/ Why is this mod called "Hetfield mod" ? Did James Hetfield ask for it first ?

2/ When did James Hetfield used it ? What year, what album, in live ?

Thanks

User avatar
themisfit138
Mark III
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:01 am

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by themisfit138 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:29 am

decker wrote:Hi,

I've got several question :

1/ Why is this mod called "Hetfield mod" ? Did James Hetfield ask for it first ?

2/ When did James Hetfield used it ? What year, what album, in live ?

Thanks
1/ not sure if Hetfield had it done first, but he is probably the most well known user.

2/ albums pretty much everyone Puppets and after. Live, Puppets and Justice tour maybe Black tour also. Best heard on the Seattle show in the Binge and Purge box set. On a side note, I am watching the San Diego show from '92 and it also has awesome tone.
1985 Mark IIC++
1989 Mark III Blue Combo
1991 Mark IV Short Head

decker
Mark I
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:39 am

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by decker » Sun May 04, 2014 3:57 am

Tanks for your answer.

Do you think James used it on the black album ?

decker
Mark I
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:39 am

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by decker » Sat May 10, 2014 6:16 pm

?

User avatar
themisfit138
Mark III
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:01 am

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by themisfit138 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:44 pm

I am pretty sure I saw some pictures of them in the studio from then, and also a picture of them in his live rack with a Mark IV. Also James talk about the C+ as a ”thickener" on Classic Albums, if I remember correctly.
1985 Mark IIC++
1989 Mark III Blue Combo
1991 Mark IV Short Head

decker
Mark I
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:39 am

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by decker » Sat May 10, 2014 8:52 pm

themisfit138 wrote:Also James talk about the C+ as a ”thickener" on Classic Albums, if I remember correctly.
Yes, James said something about the "thickener" but he didn't tell if it was just one amp and one cab or the entire wall of sound just like for the left and for the right channels.

JD
Donating Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by JD » Sat May 10, 2014 9:27 pm

decker wrote:
themisfit138 wrote:Also James talk about the C+ as a ”thickener" on Classic Albums, if I remember correctly.
Yes, James said something about the "thickener" but he didn't tell if it was just one amp and one cab or the entire wall of sound just like for the left and for the right channels.
3 Tracks left, right and the thickener
Mesa Boogie Mark 3++ RGX 60W
Axe fx 2
Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp with C+ Mod Ch1 C++ Ch2
Mesa boogie Studio pre with C++ Mod by Mike B
Mesa Boogie Studio pre with C++ Mod

decker
Mark I
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:39 am

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by decker » Sun May 11, 2014 2:11 am

JD wrote: 3 Tracks left, right and the thickener
Yes, the thickener is for the center (both sides).

User avatar
Audiokill
Mark II
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:07 pm
Location: Santa Clarita, California

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by Audiokill » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:32 pm

themisfit138 wrote:
DaveP wrote:I actually owned one of the factory produced C++ and it does in fact have a push pull middle.
When I purchased the amp I wasn't aware it was a C++ nor even knew it existed. I found out when I sent the amp in for service at Mesa.
Mike B called me with the information. He told me I had one of the original C++'s that were factory produced.
OK, I was just going off of what I was told on the phone the other day.
What the hell? I'm with you themisfit138. DaveP, you sure you understood Mike B. correctly? Because Mike Bendinelli, himself, specifically told me over the phone that NONE of the C++ amps he ever worked on were ever given a push/pull on the mid knob by him. Not one. After asking him about all the push/pull mid equipped C++ amps that I've seen or heard of online, he speculated that the push/pull mid pot installation on these amps must have been performed by someone outside of Mesa. Why would he tell misfit138 and me one thing and then tell you the complete opposite? Doesn't make sense.
IIC++ | III Red Stripe | Triaxis/2:90 | LSC

DaveP
Mark III
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:22 pm

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by DaveP » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:45 pm

That's what Mike told me on the phone. He stated the amp was one of only a limited number that left that factory with that mod.
Mine had the push/pull middle control. He never brought up any mods or if it did or didn't have the push/pull added after the fact or not.
Usually he would being that to your attention. He didn't in my case. It still could have been added after the fact, anything is possible.

Post Reply