Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Mark I's, II's, III's and the almight IV

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

zodiac272
Donating Member

Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by zodiac272 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Hey,

Anybody ever have any experience with a IIC++? How much would it cost? I just sent my IIC (HRG) in for the upgrade ($400) to Mike B.
I will call Mike B to discuss, but i was curious what some people thought about it? I was searching for some clips on youtube, but couldn't find any. I don't really use the verb all that much, but I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice it for the ++. I'm pretty sure I'll never sell the amp, and I'll probably want another loaded factory C+ (DRG). Would it be a crazy idea to use the 8 ohm speaker jack for the ++? I use a thiele and an open back compact cab, both running thru the 4 ohm jacks. I'm pretty sure I can run a 4x12 off a 4 ohm jack right?

anyway, thanks again for your thoughts.

scott
Mark IIC+ KDG "Road Head"
Mark IIC+ HRG
Mesa 2:90
Digitech GSP2101
ESP JH-2 Explorer
LTD Explorer
Ibanez S-540
Boogie 1x12 Thiele, 1x12 Compact Cab
Boogie 4x12 Cream Halfback

dodger916
Donating Member

Re: Mark IIC++ Hetfield mod

Post by dodger916 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:51 pm

zodiac272 wrote:I'm pretty sure I can run a 4x12 off a 4 ohm jack right?
Running four 16 ohm speakers or two 8 ohm speakers in parallel will yield 4 ohms.

Mk IIA->C+ DRGX head "Cold Sweat" in GTS shell
1966 Fender Pro Reverb
DC-3 head
Orange Dual Terror
EVM loaded Thiele; MS-12 1/2 back
71 SG; 72 Tele; 76 White Strat; 77 LP Custom; 81 Goldtop; 05 Am Dlx Strat; 11 G0 plaintop

zodiac272
Donating Member

Post by zodiac272 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:37 am

ok, but I'm pretty sure I can run a traditional recto with four 8 ohm speakers in stereo using the two 4 ohm jacks on the back of the head.
Mark IIC+ HRG
Digitech GSP2101
ESP JH-2 Explorer
LTD Explorer
Ibanez S-540

DaveP
Mark III

Post by DaveP » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:42 am

I owned a factory C++ and I found the 26db gain boost in the clean channel a bit extreme. It is switchable but once you have your
clean dialed in and you hit the C++ boost it blows you away. It's not controllable it's just there, BAM!
The boost the the lead channel isn't as extreme at only 6db or so gain. It adds a hair around the existing gain but it's very subtle.
Would I pay to have it done? No. I didn't think the mod actually added anything usable to what the C+ already had to offer.

JimAnsell
Mark IV

Post by JimAnsell » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:47 am

i'll try and get some clips made of mine in the next few days for you guys.

mxr2000
Mark III

Post by mxr2000 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:07 pm

hello could you be kind to explain to me what a IIC++ plus is all about and how this affect the overall amp sound or the use of the amp vs the regular IIc+

zodiac272
Donating Member

Post by zodiac272 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Hey,

the ++ mod adds another 20 or 26 db of boost to both channels. The best way to do it is sacrifice the reverb or whatever you want and use the hole for a footswitch jack. from what I have heard, the ++ mod also sacrifices the clean channel and makes it dirty. Channel 2 is in your face high gain. I say all this never having heard one, but reading whatever I could find. I'm not sure if you could just put a boost pedal in front and do the same thing for a lot less money.

scott
Mark IIC+ HRG
Digitech GSP2101
ESP JH-2 Explorer
LTD Explorer
Ibanez S-540

DaveP
Mark III

Post by DaveP » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:17 am

mxr2000 wrote:hello could you be kind to explain to me what a IIC++ plus is all about and how this affect the overall amp sound or the use of the amp vs the regular IIc+
Having owned one I can tell you a little about it.
The middle control when pulled engages the mod. Pushed in the amp is stock.
In the clean mode it increases the gain quite a bit, 20-26db as was stated in the previous posts. In the
lead channel it is only approx a 6db boost. Adds a little hair around the stock gain tone.
I didn't find the mod very useful as the boost was extreme in the clean channel. Not sure why or how you would
use this. It is not adjustable either. There is a jack on the bottom of the chassis to switch it in and out.
Mesa made approx 12 of these with this mod from the factory others were upgraded later by users.
Hope that helps.

mxr2000
Mark III

Post by mxr2000 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:18 pm

DaveP wrote:
mxr2000 wrote:hello could you be kind to explain to me what a IIC++ plus is all about and how this affect the overall amp sound or the use of the amp vs the regular IIc+
Having owned one I can tell you a little about it.
The middle control when pulled engages the mod. Pushed in the amp is stock.
In the clean mode it increases the gain quite a bit, 20-26db as was stated in the previous posts. In the
lead channel it is only approx a 6db boost. Adds a little hair around the stock gain tone.
I didn't find the mod very useful as the boost was extreme in the clean channel. Not sure why or how you would
use this. It is not adjustable either. There is a jack on the bottom of the chassis to switch it in and out.
Mesa made approx 12 of these with this mod from the factory others were upgraded later by users.
Hope that helps.
thanks... took it to a tech and he told me that it was a mod done by someone else...

Koprofag

Post removed.

Post by Koprofag » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:48 am

Post removed.
Last edited by Koprofag on Wed May 15, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kdorsey
Donating Member

Post by kdorsey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:47 am

Koprofag wrote:Off topic, but still related.

Would this mod be similar to how the MkIII Mid knob boosts Lead drive when pulled?
That's a good question. I've never seen any specs quantifying the boost seen when the R2 switch is pulled w/ Lead. But I kinda doubt it's anywhere close to 23dB! Maybe 6-8dB like stated above.
'89 Mk III Combo - green stripe
Simul w/ EL-34s | EQ | Rev | EV12L

(2) Boogie 2x12 Half-back Cabs

Audiokill
Mark II

Post by Audiokill » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:42 pm

I own a C++ (DRG) modded by Mike B. at Mesa. There is no pull switch on the mid knob, nor a modded reverb jack. In fact, there is no way to simply "switch" back to regular C+ mode unless I had the ++ mod reversed.

With that said, I can't really give A/B comparisons between a C++ and a C+, but I can say that the additional gain you get from a C++ mod done by Mesa is rather modest. Also, the graphic eq is voiced a bit differently according to Mike B, but again, it's not night and day. My C++ is a great sounding amp, but you may feel that what is essentially a different flavor of the C+ is not worth the sky high cost unless you absolutely MUST explore the same amp that Metallica and Dream Theater used on their better sounding albums.
Last edited by Audiokill on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IIC++ | III Red Stripe | Triaxis/2:90 | LSC

gts
Mark IV
Location: Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his apples - not that he really ever had any to lose.

Post by gts » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Bring out your dead.......

chipaudette
Donating Member

Post by chipaudette » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:41 pm

...but I'm not dead yet!

Seriously, while this is a beaten horse, I still have not seen a schematic showing what was done to make the IIC++ mod (or Hetfield mod or Petrucci mod, or whatever). Until I see a schematic, I'm still curious about what people have to say about it...thinking that maybe I can piece something together.

Schematics? Anyone? Us circuit nerds are dying to know!

Chip

Big Block
Mark II

Post by Big Block » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Why ruin an amp with enough gain as it is??

I think anyone who wants to mod a C+ to a C++ should just buy a different amp.