Mesa Mark iii+ questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfnote

Reaction score
I have en route a Mark iii blue modded to c+ specs by Mike B. I have never owned a iii or iic+. I have owned a iv and a v.
What can I expect from this amp? It also has the r2 volume mod. Are they only good turned up or do they have a decent bedroom volume? Are they dark or bright?

halfnote said:
What can I expect from this amp?

You can expect a sound similar to a IIC+. Maybe, the "feel" won't be exactly the same but, probably, close enough.

What would cause the feel to be different. The 105 transformer?
I have a Mark III getting the III+ mod at Mesa right now. It is an early no stripe with a 105 transformer.
I guess I will find out soon enough. :D

I have a III blue and would be curious what the III+ mods are, if anyone knows.

Ch2 is very muddy IMO. The fizz is in the Lead channel. The Lead channel C+ mod is as follows- insert a 1000pF, IIRC, capacitor in the C30 slot (should be unused in a blue stripe III). The presence mod isn't needed, since the cap is already the correct value, and you can also replace the C27 clean channel cap. I forget the value for that though.

You can expect a III without this mod to be VERY BRIGHT. quite the opposite of the IV, which is dark sounding. The III has more gain on tap than the IIC+ or the IV, because of its extreme brightness. The sound is somewhat comparable to that of a Recto, but with much more gain. It is playable at bedroom levels, but it sounds its best cranked, so the power tubes saturate. The fizz starts to go away at that point.

The reverb sounds weak stock, so the reverb mod should also be done. Some people complain that R2 sounds too soft compare to the other channels, so you may want the volume mod done. I, personally don't experience an imbalance of volume between R1 and R2.

yeah, sorry i meant ch3. i think of the m3 as a two channel amp. i'll probably just take mine up to the factory since they're pros & im not. Interestingly, (perhaps) is that ch2 is *louder* on mine than ch1 is. i took a peek inside today & yes, the C30 spot is empty.

thnx/

>Photi G< said:
Ch2 is very muddy IMO. The fizz is in the Lead channel. The Lead channel C+ mod is as follows- insert a 1000pF, IIRC, capacitor in the C30 slot (should be unused in a blue stripe III). The presence mod isn't needed, since the cap is already the correct value, and you can also replace the C27 clean channel cap. I forget the value for that though.

You can expect a III without this mod to be VERY BRIGHT. quite the opposite of the IV, which is dark sounding. The III has more gain on tap than the IIC+ or the IV, because of its extreme brightness. The sound is somewhat comparable to that of a Recto, but with much more gain. It is playable at bedroom levels, but it sounds its best cranked, so the power tubes saturate. The fizz starts to go away at that point.

The reverb sounds weak stock, so the reverb mod should also be done. Some people complain that R2 sounds too soft compare to the other channels, so you may want the volume mod done. I, personally don't experience an imbalance of volume between R1 and R2.

What is the Reverb Mod? The reverb on my Blue Stripe is really weak, even with new preamp tubes. I noticed that is sounds duller in the reverb pan bag than if I leave it out. Anyone experience that with theirs?

I've heard a lot of folks talk about the C30 cap and I'm going to see if I can do this. I'm guessing I can pick up the capacitor at Radio Shack?

Yep, a 500v 1000pF ceramic disc capacitor is all you need. I really need to get around to it too. And make sure you have a power filter discharger. There's 5 filter caps in the III, and 7 caps in the SimulClass III. They're the big blue ones next to the power tranny, and on the preamp board.

If you're buying caps...I'd suggest that you buy a 500 pF and a 1000 pF. The 1000pF makes it like a IIC+, but the 500pF makes it like a Mark IV. In my Mark IIC -> IIC+, I think that I like the 500pF best.

Just a suggestion.

Chip

Actually, the 500pF makes it a Red Stripe. Technically that is. Sonically, it could be a mark IV, but tone is subjective :) . But technically, the Blue and Red stripe are nearly identical, except for C30, the presence circuit, and their power amp circuits. Adding a 500pF cap will change the preamp to Red Stripe specs.

Back