The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mesa Mark iii+ questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:45 am 
Mark III

I have en route a Mark iii blue modded to c+ specs by Mike B. I have never owned a iii or iic+. I have owned a iv and a v.
What can I expect from this amp? It also has the r2 volume mod. Are they only good turned up or do they have a decent bedroom volume? Are they dark or bright?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:09 pm 
Mark III

you can expect VERY loud ! i had a III + , its a good amp yeah you can play it at bedroom level

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:39 pm 
Mark II

I'm currently in negotiations with someone for a III+. I'm pretty stoked myself!!! :mrgreen:

Custom built guitars w/humbuckers
PRS HB II
79 Les Paul Standard
Marshall 4x12 (loaded with 2 EV's and 2 ToneTubby's in X pattern)
and more pedals than one man should own.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:53 pm 
Mark IV

halfnote wrote:
What can I expect from this amp?

You can expect a sound similar to a IIC+. Maybe, the "feel" won't be exactly the same but, probably, close enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:57 pm 
Mark III

What would cause the feel to be different. The 105 transformer?
I have a Mark III getting the III+ mod at Mesa right now. It is an early no stripe with a 105 transformer.
I guess I will find out soon enough. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:27 pm 
Mark III

my III was a blue stripe with the + mod and without the EQ it sounded pretty close but not quite -

dont get me wrong it still sounded good and loud as hell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:38 am 
Mark III

I have a III blue and would be curious what the III+ mods are, if anyone knows.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:22 pm 
Donating Member

me 2.

kramerxxx wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:57 pm 
Dual Recto

boogiemon wrote:
me 2.

kramerxxx wrote:

If you guys are expecting a more "aggressive" Mark III, I think you are going to be regretful. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:43 pm 
Donating Member

naw, mainly just looking to cut some fizz from ch2

JOEY B. wrote:
boogiemon wrote:
me 2.

kramerxxx wrote:

If you guys are expecting a more "aggressive" Mark III, I think you are going to be regretful. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:25 pm 
Mark III

Ch2 is very muddy IMO. The fizz is in the Lead channel. The Lead channel C+ mod is as follows- insert a 1000pF, IIRC, capacitor in the C30 slot (should be unused in a blue stripe III). The presence mod isn't needed, since the cap is already the correct value, and you can also replace the C27 clean channel cap. I forget the value for that though.

You can expect a III without this mod to be VERY BRIGHT. quite the opposite of the IV, which is dark sounding. The III has more gain on tap than the IIC+ or the IV, because of its extreme brightness. The sound is somewhat comparable to that of a Recto, but with much more gain. It is playable at bedroom levels, but it sounds its best cranked, so the power tubes saturate. The fizz starts to go away at that point.

The reverb sounds weak stock, so the reverb mod should also be done. Some people complain that R2 sounds too soft compare to the other channels, so you may want the volume mod done. I, personally don't experience an imbalance of volume between R1 and R2.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:10 am 
Donating Member

yeah, sorry i meant ch3. i think of the m3 as a two channel amp. i'll probably just take mine up to the factory since they're pros & im not. Interestingly, (perhaps) is that ch2 is *louder* on mine than ch1 is. i took a peek inside today & yes, the C30 spot is empty.

thnx/

>Photi G< wrote:
Ch2 is very muddy IMO. The fizz is in the Lead channel. The Lead channel C+ mod is as follows- insert a 1000pF, IIRC, capacitor in the C30 slot (should be unused in a blue stripe III). The presence mod isn't needed, since the cap is already the correct value, and you can also replace the C27 clean channel cap. I forget the value for that though.

You can expect a III without this mod to be VERY BRIGHT. quite the opposite of the IV, which is dark sounding. The III has more gain on tap than the IIC+ or the IV, because of its extreme brightness. The sound is somewhat comparable to that of a Recto, but with much more gain. It is playable at bedroom levels, but it sounds its best cranked, so the power tubes saturate. The fizz starts to go away at that point.

The reverb sounds weak stock, so the reverb mod should also be done. Some people complain that R2 sounds too soft compare to the other channels, so you may want the volume mod done. I, personally don't experience an imbalance of volume between R1 and R2.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:20 pm 
Mark III

What is the Reverb Mod? The reverb on my Blue Stripe is really weak, even with new preamp tubes. I noticed that is sounds duller in the reverb pan bag than if I leave it out. Anyone experience that with theirs?

I've heard a lot of folks talk about the C30 cap and I'm going to see if I can do this. I'm guessing I can pick up the capacitor at Radio Shack?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:23 pm 
Mark III

Yep, a 500v 1000pF ceramic disc capacitor is all you need. I really need to get around to it too. And make sure you have a power filter discharger. There's 5 filter caps in the III, and 7 caps in the SimulClass III. They're the big blue ones next to the power tranny, and on the preamp board.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:59 pm 
Donating Member

If you're buying caps...I'd suggest that you buy a 500 pF and a 1000 pF. The 1000pF makes it like a IIC+, but the 500pF makes it like a Mark IV. In my Mark IIC -> IIC+, I think that I like the 500pF best.

Just a suggestion.

Chip