mk III sound problem [ never has sounded right ]

Mark I's, II's, III's and the almight IV

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

treedroppings
Mark II

Re: mk III sound problem [ never has sounded right ]

Post by treedroppings » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:10 am

I had a bad sound on my amp, seems to have gone away with servicing pots and replacing the caps

Now I need to upgrade my ears for the volume increase :lol:
2006 Fender Lite Ash Strat
2012 US Gibson Firebird V
1990 Boogie Mark 1 Reissue
2-12 Sapele Cab

Music: from blues to thrash and back! (allman bros, exodus, saxon, tcf, robert johnson)

pegagos
Mark II

Post by pegagos » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:19 am

I got a call from Mesa the day before yesterday to let me know my MK III blue is ready. I should get it sometime next week. They said that they replaced several burned resistors, cap job, fix an issue with my sound being scratchy when the EQ was off, replaced master volume knob, cleaned amp, pots and jacks and replaced my two EL34s (didn't charge me for the tubes) all for $177 (150 for labor and 27 in parts). I live in Houston and I payed roughly $60 for shipping total. I will let you guys know how it sounds when I get it back.

I was having issues with the amp not having any volume when the master volume was under 2. When it got to exactly 2 it the sounds was very scratchy (like playing with the guitar cable half in, lol), then after 2 the amp sounded OK, until the week that I sent it in. The sound just got really weak and scratchy. I was having the EQ issue mentioned above and it needed a good cleaning. The amp was just collecting dust before I bought it in February.

I'll keep you guys updated.

--
pegagos
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Widebody Combo w/ c90
Mesa Boogie 1x12 Vintage Cab w/ c90
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Maxon OD808
TC Flashback delay
TC Hall of Fame reverb
Pedaltrain 1
Voodoolab Pedal Power 2

pegagos
Mark II

Post by pegagos » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:07 am

I got the amp back on Friday. What a difference! I think the amp was already messed up before I got it in February. it has never sounded this good. I think I finally understand the "3D" feel that everyone talks about. It has a more creamy sound and low end its just amazing. The presence control doesn't feel as harsh as it did before I sent it in. I always thought the sound of this amp was very raw and in your face, but now it feels completely different. Very smooth and well rounded sound.

Thanks Mesa!
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Widebody Combo w/ c90
Mesa Boogie 1x12 Vintage Cab w/ c90
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Maxon OD808
TC Flashback delay
TC Hall of Fame reverb
Pedaltrain 1
Voodoolab Pedal Power 2

James B
Bottle Rocket

Post by James B » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:20 pm

That's the Boogie sound I know. I played mine the weekend of Nov 1 at church. We have a big church and we do three services. That day we had Larry McCray lead our worship team. If you guys don't know Larry just Utube him. Anyways, I let Larry use my Carr Slant 6V and I used the newly serviced Mk III. I rec'd several compliments on my tone. (None on my licks) ;-)

The Mk series is great. Larry said he was really interested in picking one up now...he was impressed with the rig too.

JB
James B in NC