Got My IIC+ Headshell From GTS!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson5413

Reaction score
I couldn't be happier. What a great job. I liked the combo but love headshell!! I just need to figure out how I am going to fit the reverb tank and fan. I most likely will not install the reverb tank and don't this it is a requirement for the fan (am I wrong in thinking this?).

Either way, big thanks to George!!! Here are the pics of my rig:
Before

6-12-07115.jpg

After

6-12-07137.jpg

6-12-07141.jpg

6-12-07142.jpg

6-12-07155.jpg

Thanks guys!

I still have the combo shell and speaker. Not sure what I will do with it (hang on to it or sell it).

gibson5413 said:
Thanks guys!

I still have the combo shell and speaker. Not sure what I will do with it (hang on to it or sell it).

LMK if you end up selling it!

JSutter said:
Looks good! Nice house too!

Thanks on both counts. Unfortunately I have been relegated to the unfinished basement. The basement should be complete in the next 3 months.

Isn't the short head reverb tank smaller than the combo? That's really a nice headshell.

gts said:
Devnor said:
Isn't the short head reverb tank smaller than the combo?
Nope same Tank, Acutronics model 9AB2A1B

That's really a nice headshell.

gibson5413 give me a call if you want, installing the tank and fan are easy enough and I can walk you through it.
It's really more of a pain in the *** getting them out of the combo shell than installing them in the headshell!

Thanks George! It looks fantastic. I am really impressed wit your work. Sure thing, I will give you a call. Is it necessary to have the fan installed? Do I even need the reverb tank installed if I never use it? Thoughts? Thanks!

gts said:
gibson5413 said:
Thanks George! It looks fantastic. I am really impressed wit your work. Sure thing, I will give you a call. Is it necessary to have the fan installed? Do I even need the reverb tank installed if I never use it? Thoughts? Thanks!
You don't need to install the reverb tank.
One could probably get away without the fan too but things can get pretty hot inside a head cab.
Maybe others will chime in with an opinion.

I used the MKIIC+ with the fan shut off in the studio. The amp has never failed. The fan does increase tube life from what I know.

gibson5413 said:
I wouldn't run a 4 power-tube head without a fan. It could overhead the pcb and the electronics.

dodger916 said:
gibson5413 said:
I wouldn't run a 4 power-tube head without a fan. It could overhead the pcb and the electronics.

This is probably good advice. I had the fan off in my head for years with no failure, but that doesn't mean you should do it. The fan is a good idea.

Good advice but none of my other amps I have owned over the past 20+ years required a fan with the exception of my Mark series. In addition, the Mark series are pretty wide open compared to most amps that have full enclosure.

I will most likely install the fan to be safe.

Thanks!

Where is the best place to put it on a head? Any pictures I can use as a guide? Thanks!

Back