The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:32 pm 
Mark IV

According to what I read somewhere here in this forum, if and when Mesa found two chassis with same serial numbers (some of them were stamped in advance during manufacturing and some others at the time of manufacturing completion), they did not restamp the chassis but preferred to stamp an additional A in front of the s/n.
Do you have a picture?
Thanks
Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:54 am 
Mark III

Thanks for the response. I meant to grab a photo last night but got side tracked. I'll get one over the weekend. It basically looks like a A in front of the number. The size might be a bit different I think it might be slightly out of line which would make sense for the scenario you've described.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:46 pm 
Mark III

Here it is! Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:29 am 
Mark II

I never considered an A before the serial number as indicating anything significant, nor did I notice anything different in the ones I owned that had the A on them.

As an example, when I had a bunch of Blue Stripes, I owned A229** and its slightly later sibling 235**. My tech went over them both quite thoroughly with me present - something we do with every used amp I buy. We didn't notice anything radically different that I can remember, and they sounded very similar and were used more or less interchangeably.

Of course, we might have missed something that in hindsight will turn out to be head-smackingly obvious, but I somehow doubt it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:36 pm 
Mark IV

Thank you for the picture s-fresh.

Obviously, the factory stamped the A in front of the already stamped serial number.
Both "twin-numbered" amps should be perfectly fine and as similar/slightly different as any other two amplifiers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:04 am 
Mark II

Just picked up a Black Dot/X MkIII s/n 160XX, dated sept '85. It's fully loaded, and has the X-101 transformer; plus, it came with three STR 415s and an oddball Chinese 6L6...

Best sounding MkIII I've ever owned, in terms of sweetness to the singing tone on the lead channel. It's definitely that much closer to the MkIIC+ than my much-loved but very aggressive old Blue stripes - now all gone to new homes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:50 pm 
Mark III

tonyelbatal wrote:
Wyzard wrote:
Don't worry yet - the actual stripe colour is a matter of taste for a lot of us, and doesn't affect the value much.

Post the panel pics first, and we'll get on it.... When you find a way to hold the chassis while unscrewing the retainer bolts (I use a slave/faithful assistant to help me, as I have a dodgy hand), you can then slide the chassis out for more pics.

Hi again Wyzard,

What does the above images tell you? I have an update, I contacted MesaBoogie and Mike B. sent me the following by email (I shared the images with him) and also asked him about the mods. and that I play Metallica:
Quote:
It appears this amp was updated to BLUE dot. As far as mods I can do the 3+ mod ($200 to me plus mesa svc) and in this case, the Brighter Simul Class Version is likely best to get to the Metallica tones. If extreme gain is wanted the 3++ mod ($300 to me plus mesa svc) is the ticket. Neither of theses is as bright as that BLUE dot is right now. I do recommend including the R2 master on rear.

That being said, would it be even possible to convert a purple stripe to blue stripe, like Mike B. said? And it seems like modding the amp (to 3+ or 3++) is not a good option if I want to play Metallica type of sound.

Thanks again!

I recently picked up one just like this. Serial in the purple range, but blue stripe. Opened it up and there are notes on it being converted to blue in 1989. Pretty sure it was done at Mesa based on the names in there. From a layman mine does look factory.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 pm 
Mark III

I just picked up a red stripe DRG long head SN 220XX, 1/88. Best sounding III I've played. Way better than my old too bright blue stripes.

Side note, my factory IIC+ has a D at the end of the serial number. Always wondered about that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6