mark 3 serial numbers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartchamdoh

Reaction score
I posted this in modern amps by mistake so i,m adding a second post here where it should be!The official line is that the mark 3 amp began and the 2c+ production ceased at serial number 15000! the amp then ran until serial number 28384 (that,s 13385 mark 3,s in total y,all). During this time the amp went thru 5 dots/stripes in an effort to get a well balanced three channel amp with the fabled 2c+ lead tone, but what serial number did each dot/stripe begin with?If you have an amp you think is close to the beginning/end of a stripes production run let me know....also could you include the year of production(on the underneath of the chassis behind the power tubes)I have 2 purple stripe,s in the 17000,s both 86 (second year of production).Also i am aware green/blue stripe production overlapped but still want to know the serial number/year each started( i have a green stripe 26xxx from 1990) all input gladly welcomed.

bartchamdoh said:
a well balanced three channel amp with the fabled 2c+ lead tone

I have tried many different Mark III's and haven't got the C+ lead tone out of one yet. Close, but no cigar. :evil: I really wanted it to work, but it was not to be.

Yup the sound quality of each stripe is much debated but what i,m really looking for is serial number/year production runs as nobody seems to know and i,m a mark 3 fanatic!

Nobody else care what serial numbers/years each stripe came out in seems to me with the exception of early mark 1,s the other marks are pretty well documented.

If no one knows, it's up to you to do the work. It took me five plus years to get one article as correct as I could
with only 1800-1900 amps. Best of luck with 13K+.

BTW, if you find a IIC+ between 14,400 and 14,999 I will buy you a six pack. :D
MK III serial numbers would start at 15,001 since we have confirmation on a one off
IIC+ with serial # 15,000 from Ian Dickey over at The Boogie Files.

Confucious say....your blue from 88, my two purples 86,black/no stripes stripes starting in 85 and i recall seeing a red from 87. Could it be mesa introduced a new stripe roughly every year.Keep it coming and hopefully i can narrow it down.If you have the above stripes in different years from above let me know.

You are asking for ballpark numbers. The following numbers give you just some rough idea:

- black ('85~'86): 15001 to 16715
- purple ('86): 16657 to 19059
- red ('87): 19100 to 21863
- blue ('88): 21825 to 24933
- green ('89~'9?): 24940 to 28384

As you can see there is some overlapping and also some blank spaces. Please, keep in mind that serial numbers for heads sometimes extend beyond the above mentioned ranges.
Just trying to help.
Daniel

It took me some time... just started with Ian's Boogie Files and went on screening this great Forum, the eBay and every single source I could find in the Internet.

But please keep in mind there are some amps (especially heads) with odd numbers, and outside these ranges.

I made some small last-minute corrections, here below. Whoever has better information, please pitch in.

- black ('85): 15001 to 16715
- purple ('86): 16657 to 19059
- red ('87): 19100 to 21863
- blue ('88~'89): 21825 to 24933
- green ('89~'98): 24940 to 28386

As you can see (and if numbers are corrrect), each new stripe was getting longer runs than the previous stripe. In the end, you have twice as many green stripes as black dots/stripes.
Regards
Daniel

Ok using Daniels numbers as a rough guide if your stripe falls outside these numbers add to this post and lets see how well we can fine tune these stripes serial numbers into there production runs.

Don't forget that some of the early ones have no stripe/dot at all. I've got #15434 & it's just got "MB" on the back.

Thank you , you raise an important point but if you read all the post you will see that i refer to the first mark 3,s as black stripe/no stripe!

Just to make it even more complicated :lol:

How many of the MKIII's have the C+ transformers. (the big ones like T105 & X101 etc.)
For instance; my black is 15527 all options DRGX with X101 and SC152019B

Then this will be a neverending topic. :D

tony777 said:
Just to make it even more complicated :lol:

How many of the MKIII's have the C+ transformers. (the big ones like T105 & X101 etc.)
For instance; my black is 15527 all options DRGX with X101 and SC152019B

Then this will be a neverending topic. :D

my black-dot DRGX has also the X101 transformer. Serial 15909

Back