2c+ Variety in Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masterof1angel

Reaction score
From amp to amp, is the sound the same? It's a shame they aren't around to play and you normally have to order the one you buy, but if you like the tone of one will you like the tone of another or is it smart to play each one before you buy it?

They don't sound "exactly" the same. Each will have slightly different components here and there to make them sound unique. For example, maybe Mesa used a different value resistor on this C+ whereas they used another value on the next, simply because it was laying on the table.

Further, you have the different options: simul-class, 60watt, EQ, etc. These have an obvious effect on tone.

The bottom line though is that all C+'s have the same inherent tone and the differences are minute. It is not worth the time, money, and effort to try them all out to see which of the little quirks fits you best. The main differences you need to decide on are EQ vs No EQ and Simul vs No Simul. The rest you forget about or it'll drive you nuts. After you pick one up, post your circuit board pictures and some of the experts will tell you if there have been modifications, which are all usually capable of being reverted back.

I think the difference is attributed more to the type of component as opposed to value. From early to late production you could have four different types of resistors, three types of coupling capacitors and two types of cathode caps. Values, other than minor circuit changes did not change much from the beginning to the end. I've had the opportunity to test and early, early middle, middle and late IIC+ with the same preamp and power tubes. They can all be dialed in pretty close to each other using your ears, but the late one near the end of production had the most gain, in a ridiculous kind of way. The only way I can attribute the difference is all metal film resistor in the preamp, power amp and grid stoppers and small green (Meanie) ceramic disk caps in the lead section. As Miguel stated, we can go on all day about this. Just use your ears.

Latest posts

Back