MkIV Tube Options

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egdon

Reaction score
Hi - I have a MkIVa from 1991. I know I can put EL34s in the outer sockets and run it in ClassA to get more of a Marshall-style output section, and I'm doing that now. I have EL34s in the outer sockets, and 5881s in the middle sockets, which seem (?) to have a slightly less powerful, more "vintagey" sound than the 6L6.

Can anyone tell me, does that seem accurate about the sound of the 5881 vs. the 6L6, or is it maybe just the specific tubes I have?

Also, and more importantly, is there anything dangerous about swapping the position of these tubes, ie, put the EL34s in the middle sockets, and the 5881s in the outer sockets, using Simulclass? I'm sure ClassA would be fine that way, but I'm not sure about having all four tubes on. But if I can do this, I can get the more "Fender" tone in ClassA, and add in the "Marshall" edge in Simulclass...

Thanks for the help!

egdon

egdon said:
Hi - I have a MkIVa from 1991. I know I can put EL34s in the outer sockets and run it in ClassA to get more of a Marshall-style output section, and I'm doing that now. I have EL34s in the outer sockets, and 5881s in the middle sockets, which seem (?) to have a slightly less powerful, more "vintagey" sound than the 6L6.

Can anyone tell me, does that seem accurate about the sound of the 5881 vs. the 6L6, or is it maybe just the specific tubes I have?

Also, and more importantly, is there anything dangerous about swapping the position of these tubes, ie, put the EL34s in the middle sockets, and the 5881s in the outer sockets, using Simulclass? I'm sure ClassA would be fine that way, but I'm not sure about having all four tubes on. But if I can do this, I can get the more "Fender" tone in ClassA, and add in the "Marshall" edge in Simulclass...

Thanks for the help!

egdon

I would call Mesa and ask them but im pretty sure you can only put 34's in the outer sockets.

Thanks JohnDNJ - I think you are probably right...the manual only talks about the outer sockets, but I thought I'd give it a try. I'll call them Monday -

egdon

Latest posts

Back