What OD pedals work well for you with the MArk series??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rispsira

Reaction score
Hello i am waiting for Mark V heads and am starting to think about OD pedal to boost the signal for lead sounds especially.

Any OD you think works great with the Mark??

Thanks!!!

I'm not sure that it qualifies as an OD pedal, but I am really liking the Xotic RC Booster with my MkII. It allows you to get the liquid lead tone when switched on, and a biting rhythm tone from channel 2 (once you lower the lead drive to around 4) when switched off. 8)

I use a modded Boss SD-1 with my mark III and it sounds amazing.
It's a chaos mod from Boden electronics.
alot of guys over on the Sevenstring.org site have them and use
them with their rectos too. (I got mine to use with my Rectoverb)
the pedal is a great match for the Mesa voicing.

JOEY B. said:
I'm not sure that it qualifies as an OD pedal, but I am really liking the Xotic RC Booster with my MkII. It allows you to get the liquid lead tone when switched on, and a biting rhythm tone from channel 2 (once you lower the lead drive to around 4) when switched off. 8)

Hey Joey!! Its ok if its not an OD i actually was thinking about that pedal too!! Did you say that it affects your rythm tone positively when its in your signal path but turned off??? Or did i completely misunderstand :oops:

I was considering a keeley TS9 DS1, since everybody says so many good things about them (i have never tried any and HAVE to know what the fuss is all about!)
Also theres the Zendrive.. wonder if i should get the one or the two (some people say that a tube in a pedal is useless cause its never driven hard enough but i dont know..)
Theres the tube driver by BK butler..
mm what else. heard good things about the MI audio pedals.
Theres also the fulltone.

:? What do you think!! (so far i only have a BB preamp but still didnt get the heads so dont know how it will sound with the Mark!!)

Thanks for the reply by the way!!!!

kmanick said:
I use a modded Boss SD-1 with my mark III and it sounds amazing.
It's a chaos mod from Boden electronics.
alot of guys over on the Sevenstring.org site have them and use
them with their rectos too. (I got mine to use with my Rectoverb)
the pedal is a great match for the Mesa voicing.

Cool i have never heard of that mod before!! how would you compare it with say a keeley mod liked the "baked" (available as a mode on the flexi)

Thanks!!

the Xotic line of pedals work well. THe best live tone I ever heard was a dude with a Mark3, rc booster, and les paul

i use a BB preamp into my mark IV..see rich brymer of these forums use it with great success on youtube, also other guys...the pedal is super transparent, allows the amps/guitars tone to really shine through.

From time to time I use a T-Rex Comp Nova to boost the leads. It gives me more sustain without giving me more distortion, which I prefer, and, being this pedal extremely transparent, it lets all guitar's nuances pass through still intact. Quite a strange compressor, it doesn't add that squashy feel to the tone, I just love it.

I also use ODs to give R1 - R2 a different taste. Lately I made a pleasant discovery: the Danelectro CTO-1 Transparent OD. Sounds like a TS808 with some more bite. And it's true bypass. It costs like a Long Island on Broadway and it delivers more grin :D
Otherwise I use Tube Screamers of all kinds and they all sounded good.

rispsira said:
JOEY B. said:

Hey Joey!! Its ok if its not an OD i actually was thinking about that pedal too!! Did you say that it affects your rythm tone positively when its in your signal path but turned off??? Or did i completely misunderstand :oops:

The better rhythm tone has nothing to do with the pedal. It is a result of lowering the lead drive (Gain on MkV) control. As the gain on the amp is turned up, the same control that gives the classic "liquid lead" also starts to mush or compress the rhythm tone. I use the RC pedal to simulate turning up the lead drive with a stomp of a button. :D

I use a BB Preamp and It does exactly what I bought it for and what you want it for, just to boost your signal. No tone sucking, just boost, it's awesome.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations guys!!

What about the TS pedals. Should i go for a maxon or a keeley modified pedal? Also when keeley adertises the flexi as having the baked mod AND the standard one is it really tru? In other words would it differ if i got a keeley TS9 (the regular mod i forgot the name) and the "standard" (non baked) mode on the flexi??

Im always scared when it comes to EXTRA options or features! sometimes they affect the original feature you wanted but bought the complex one to have more "options"...

my boogie absolutely loves my Barber Direct Drive SS pedal.

it consumes it with relish.
and mustard.

gonzo said:

and mustard.

LOL! i havent heard of that pedal before but i certainly will look it out!

sounds.. tasty? :)

Thanks!

rispsira said:
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations guys!!

What about the TS pedals. Should i go for a maxon or a keeley modified pedal? Also when keeley adertises the flexi as having the baked mod AND the standard one is it really tru? In other words would it differ if i got a keeley TS9 (the regular mod i forgot the name) and the "standard" (non baked) mode on the flexi??

Im always scared when it comes to EXTRA options or features! sometimes they affect the original feature you wanted but bought the complex one to have more "options"...

Anyone can answer this for me???

Downloading the youtube demos of the Timmy now. Thanks!! (theres also one that compares the timmy to the danelectro)

rispsira

SuperSmed.jpg

here's the newest version of the SS.

New internal controls- The Super Sport Direct Drive can dial in Note Shape, Harmonics, Bass, Midrange and presence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True bypass switching with led indicator- this is achieved by using an high grade switch, in addendum Solid 20 gauge copper hookup wire is used between the jacks and switching to create a transparent bypass.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full size pots- for durability and for easy serviceability if needed.

Hand made in the B-Custom shop-Ronni crafts each Super Sport in the Custom shop located in Baltimore.

Double sided pc board with plate through holes-This is the way the military does it when they want electronics to work FOREVER! all pedals should be made this way , few are...

Ready for 18 volt operation-The Super Sport operates from 9 volts to 18 volts, this allows use of higher voltage converters and supplies, for players who want to try higher voltage tweaks.

Barber adjustable phono style recovery stage- Most of our op-amp based overdrive pedals use a cool old style phonograph circuit to recover the frequencies lost in the overdrive stage, this worked great for vinyl and now works great for guitar overdrive!

$139

thing is, tho, Barber has a whole slew of overdrive, boost and Drive pedals, and if you're sure of what kind of sound you're after, you can tweak the level of drive or boost simply by choosing the right pedal.

cool thing is, when i called to ask about the pedals, i talked with dave barber directly, one of the nicest guys i've spoken to, and he was able to explain to me the differences between 3 pedals i was interested in, and dial it in for me.

plus they do custom work.

and mustard.

what about the catsup? rofl :mrgreen:

ive been using a straight up Boss SD-1 ..it sounds great with my IIc however it does taint the tone a bit...i have a boost grande on the way.from what i understand and have heard on youtube itll give me the boost im looking for without the tone being modded anyway..
more than likely ill keep and mod the sd-1 for an alternate OD..something as an alternate toy

I'm using an Analogman King of Tone which is just THE OD pedal for me (wether with my Caliber50+ or my Mark IIB ) ; go to Analogman web site ! The only drawback is the loooong waiting list and you can't say it's cheap , but everything of quality 's got to be paid for !
Enjoy :wink:

Latest posts

Back