Halfback 2x12" vs. Halfback 4x12" cab ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robredo_mattila

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I currently have a Mesa/Boogie metal grille halfback vertical 2x12" cabinet (what a mouthful haha) with MS-12 (bottom) and C90 (top) speakers. It's a great cab but it's a little big for the covers gigs I play with one of my bands. So instead I have a Carvin Legacy 2x12" cab (vintage 30s) which sounds great with my mark III.

However now that I have something small enough to use for gigs I'm considering selling the 2x12" halfback cab to get a 4x12" metal grille halfback cab for my OTHER band which plays gigs at venues where space isn't a problem and I'm allowed to push a little more air :D The 4x12" has 2x Black shadows (top) and 2x EVM12Ls (bottom). The EV's alone have me salivating as I've heard that the Mark III was designed to be played through an EV. The 4x12 belongs to an acquaintance of mine who is selling cos he's moving so I need to act on it quickly.

So is it worth my while 'upgrading' from the 2x12 to the 4x12?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Yeah it's a reasonable price, more than a used 1960A but less than a used Recto 4x12". It's also in almost mint condition and even has the original protective cover.

I'm not sure what kind of blackshadows they are in the 4x12" I'll report back with pictures as soon as I pick it up, hopefully this weekend ! Should go great with my mark III. I've sold my 1x12" boogie cab because the JBL Speaker in it was crap for anything but jazz cleans.

I just found out it has C90s in the top part, can't wait to get it.

Here's a picture. It's the roadking style (whats the 'official' name for those roadking straight/slant grille cabs?) it's a bottom cab with a slanted grille. :D

DSC03471.jpg

Back