Oh My!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a problem and need some help!

The tubes in my Mark iii crapped out so I replaced them. The tubes in it were str220 mesa 6l6s. I replaced them with mesa str440 6l6s. Before I replaced the tubes it was blowing fuses that is what lead me to the notion that the tubes were crap.

So here is the deal: I put the new tubes in and fired it up, one tube was burning red-hot and the other normal, so I went down and got an entirely different set of mesa tubes and same problem. So my question is; does anyone know what is going on here, am I looking at an expensive fix?

Cheers

I don't think I have seen or heard of Mesa STR-220 6L6 tubes. Anyway.....

I'd say get a tech to check the amp. It could be a simple fix such as replacing the filter cap or other small parts.

Whatever you do, do not replace the fuse with a higher value one. Otherwise, the next casualty could be the tubes plus the tranny. And that won't be a cheap fix, I assure you (don't know how much it would cost now, but it was over US$200 parts and labour two decades ago). When an amp is consistently blowing fuses, it is a telltale that it needs a once-over.

Send the amp to a good tech.

You may want to edit your thread title to attract the right persons to your post. Something that pertains to your problem would be a good idea.

Although, in this instance, I HIGHLY recommend taking your amp to a tech. A slot that constantly redplates any tube used in that slot is NOT a good thing! Stop using it and take it to a good tech!

Back