Red Stripe Mark iii

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so here is the deal. I have been a boogie man for a long time, but only recently have I switched from my primary amp being a rectifier to now a Mark iii. I love this amp but don't really know a whole lot about them. I have a problem with it and I was hoping to get some feedback.

1. It has been reconed and retubed but it still flubs out on the gain channels, what is the reason for this? Possible solutions?
2. I retubed it with mesa str240 6l6s but I am not satisfied with the way they sound. What are you guys using for tubes? I am looking for nice warm sound, refined bottom end, and nice clean. What do yall recomend?

Cheers and thanks for the help.

What are your settings like?

You might try driving a closed back cabinet with it as the open back will not be as tight (still shouldn't flub..)
What speaker is in it?

As far as 6L6s, I'd suggest the GT 6L6GE tubes.. the White labeled Fender ones will be right in the ideal range for you. (5-7). They are sorta pricey but totally worth it in my opinion.

1. Lower your Bass settings to zero non pulled, and adjust up to taste.
Volume 1 are possibly to high, lower that to around seven, and increase treble for more gain if lead drive doesn't give you enough.
2. Impossible to say what tubes other people would like. You'll have to try out some different ones. Preamp tubes are even more important, but again, taste.

If it's a simul-class try el34's in the outer sockets. Not sure but i think you can only run it this way if it's a simul-class. I prefer my gain sounds much more running the mark III in class A w/ only the el34's.
I should also note that my amp didn't sound good at all until I had my caps replaced. Might be time.

check out what mesa says about the tone controls:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%20III.pdf

tony777 is right on (as usual, lol) when it comes to the bass knob. the mark series aren't like other amps. you can't just turn all the knobs to 10 like eddie did on his SLP for the early van halen albums.

I use two str440 6l6's as well as two str440 EL34's. It sounds great, big warm low end and crisp cleans. I just bought a set of new tubes and i think they are like str447 instead of str440. hope this doesn't make too much of a difference because i really like the sound i get with what is in there now.

Back