Couple questions about Mark III's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ev1ltwin

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a mark III. I've been checking that jaxed site mash I read about on this board (so crucial!). A lot has been said about the differences between the stripes and other options (graphic eq, simulclass, reverb mod, etc.). My questions:

1. Does the lead mode on the different stripes vary all that much?

For example, does the lead mode on the purple stripe vary all that much when compared to a red/blue stripe? And when http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html says the green stripe had "Lead channel reshaping", is it actually noticable, or do I have to be a recording engineer to tell the difference? I'm trying to get that MoP tone (think urgent fluid gain coupled with the palm muted staccato triplets on "Battery"). After reading a lot of crap on the web, it's made me gun shy when I see a purple stripe for sale on craigslist, because I mentally weight that amp as worse.

2. Is there a difference between having the (1) graphic eq on and (2) the graphic eq off with a parametric eq in the effects loop?

pretty simple question, lol

3. How much does the reverb mod actually improve the usability of the reverb (I think I read that it doesn't really change the tone, but it increases the amount on tap)?

Another "easy" question. Thanks in advance. You guys rock, btw! So much knowledge on this site.

ev1ltwin said:
I'm looking to buy a mark III. I've been checking that jaxed site mash I read about on this board (so crucial!). A lot has been said about the differences between the stripes and other options (graphic eq, simulclass, reverb mod, etc.). My questions:

1. Does the lead mode on the different stripes vary all that much?

For example, does the lead mode on the purple stripe vary all that much when compared to a red/blue stripe? And when http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html says the green stripe had "Lead channel reshaping", is it actually noticable, or do I have to be a recording engineer to tell the difference? I'm trying to get that MoP tone (think urgent fluid gain coupled with the palm muted staccato triplets on "Battery"). After reading a lot of crap on the web, it's made me gun shy when I see a purple stripe for sale on craigslist, because I mentally weight that amp as worse.

2. Is there a difference between having the (1) graphic eq on and (2) the graphic eq off with a parametric eq in the effects loop?

pretty simple question, lol

3. How much does the reverb mod actually improve the usability of the reverb (I think I read that it doesn't really change the tone, but it increases the amount on tap)?

Another "easy" question. Thanks in advance. You guys rock, btw! So much knowledge on this site.

I've owned and played a Mark III for almost 20 years, so:
There's more similarities than differences between the stripes. An early Mark III is going to sound closer to a late Mark III than it does to anything else, so chill. The real issue with the older amps is, do they need maintenance (elecrolytic caps, tubes, etc.) because they are 20+ years old.
I would guess, however, that a later blue or green stripe might have some sonic refinements over the older black or purple stripes, otherwise why make the improvements at all?
The Graphic EQ is post pre-amp, post tone controls, post distortion, and post effects loop, so you could fine-tune the parametric with the Graphic, but it seems like overkill. Remember, you can set up the Graphic to toggle on only when you switch to Lead. One less foot switch to hit.
Haven't done the reverb mod, so can't comment. I've always been puzzled by the complaints about Mesa reverb. Of course, all tone is subjective, so my subjective opinion is it's just fine, thank you. If you want that splatty, surfy, Fender reverb, buy a Twin. (I do, and did). The Mark III reverb is more diffuse, and there's more pre-delay, so some might find it less "up-front".
Hope this helps. Mark IIIs rool.

thanks for the detailed reply, man. i definitely don't need a "refined" sound, i just want to be able to get good tones out of it, and it seems like i will be able to do that. sweet.

my question about the eq was really poorly worded. i'm gonna rephrase it and ask again. you have two amps: amp #1 has the graphic eq option and amp #2 doesnt. however, amp #2 has a 5-band eq pedal in the effects loop. are these amps essentially the same?

Yeah I think you could get away with running a decent eq in the loop on a non-reverb model. Probably wouldn't be exactly the same but I don't see why it wouldn't be decent. As far as the reverb, I use a G major in the loop which gives me a lot more flexibility so I don't even use the Mark's reverb, so I wouldn't bother with the reverb mod.
Your bigger concern would be normal maintenence items on a Mark III. Cap replacement would be on the top of my list and a good set of tubes. That will give you all the good tones you will need.

sweet man. thanks again for the replies guys. there are a couple guys in maryland who do tube amp work that i will use when i find a mark III. now if i could only find one for a reasonable price on craigslist or ebay :roll:

ev1ltwin said:
sweet man. thanks again for the replies guys. there are a couple guys in maryland who do tube amp work that i will use when i find a mark III. now if i could only find one for a reasonable price on craigslist or ebay :roll:

Here's one. And it's a green stripe, Simul-Class, with the EVM 12L speaker.
(No, it's not mine. I'm not selling mine.)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-III-All-Tube-Late-80s-Early-90s-Amp_W0QQitemZ360138319436QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360138319436&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

ev1ltwin said:
... i'm gonna rephrase it and ask again. you have two amps: amp #1 has the graphic eq option and amp #2 doesnt. however, amp #2 has a 5-band eq pedal in the effects loop. are these amps essentially the same?

"Essentially" the same, yes. But IMHO, the on-board GEQ in the amp is a better soulution. One less external device in the chain, one less hook up, one less potential cable issue, one less stomp to stomp on. The beauty of the GEQ is that you can use it for all channels, or assign it to just the lead. The latter is what I do and I find it indispensible if you are using it as a channel switching amp. In other words, you have true independent tone control over both channels when you have the GEQ. Others will say you don't need it, I will wholeheartedly disagree. :)

Edward

I have both a purple and a green and I don't think I could tell the lead channels apart. R2 definitely, but not the leads.

awesome. hopefully i can get my hands on one soon, and let you guys know how much it rocks. thanks again for the responses!

Back