JJ's Tubes in a Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LerxstFan

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase the hi gain 6L6 tube kit from Bob at Eurotubes. Has anyone here used this kit in their Mark IV and if so, what do you think of the sound?

I used replaced the stock Mesa tubes with JJ EL84's in my Nomad 45 and it was a noticeable improvement, so I'm hoping the new tubes do the same for my Mark IV.

Just make sure you get the right JJs. I always go to Bob at eruotubes.com he can tell you all you need to know and more about tubes. I had stock mesas in my IV and put JJs in but i cant tell any difference :lol:

I have to say I am not a fan of the JJ6L6 in the Mark IV. Mine came with them and I thought they sounded great until I put in some GT 6L6GEs and it was night and day. YMMV.

Thanks for the input - Did you only replace the 6L6's or the 12AX7's as well with Groove Tubes? I am thinking of JJ's because they worked once in my Nomad, but I'm open to trying different makes of tubes...

I used JJ's for years until I discovered how dark sounding they made my amp.
I tried a set of EH's in it just to hear the difference, it was then I noticed how dark sounding J.J's were. I changed out my Twin Reverb too and the amp just sparkled and came to life.
I won't be using J.J's again regardless of how cheap they may be.

I just recently retubed my MKIV with a new quad of JJ 6L6's from Bob at Eurotubes along with 2 gold pin Ecc83's in V1 and V2, 2 standard Ecc83s in V3 & V4 and a balanced triode ECC83 in the V5. They do sound OK, and the JJ 6L6's will definately fatten up the low end of the amp. If I had it to do over, I would have probably gone for the "high gain" front end instead of the gold pins, and went with the 6L6 / E34L power tube array instead.

I am thinking about trying out a full compliment of the 6V6's in the power section to see what that sounds like. I'm thinking that power tube combo along with the gold pins in the front, might really sound cool-

If anyone else here has used the 6V6 tube array in their MK IV, I would really be interested in hearing how it changes the character of the amp.

-DLM

I think JJ ECC83s are the best "new" preamp tubes in my Mark IIIs, because although the tubes are dark-sounding the Marks have no shortage of places to dial in some more brightness, especially on the green stripe.

Latest posts

Back