Mark IV owners: who thinks the Mark V sucks?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noe5

Reaction score
...I heard it briefly at NAMM, not impressed. I generally haven't like much from Mesa since the Mark IV. Not a big fan of rectos for instance.
Any educated opinions oon the matter out there?

There are so many posts on this amp. I am guilty of creating a few. Unlike you I think it'll be cool.. But I dont know, as was said I'd need to play it first.

I dont know why you think the amp sucks, but to generalize somethign that hasnt come out yet is pretty tough... you could certanily say you have no interest in it, maybe because you have a mark IV and that does what you want...

I think its great cuase it supposedly has a Mark IV and II C+ sound.. and anything is bonus for me... i could play it and find that im wrong though.

Lots of amps suck, those are usually the ones two expensive for me to buy (so they suck for being out of my reach) or sound bad cause I have no idea how to dial them in ... but hey what do i know?

I have owned a II and III. Still have a IV. ..... and liked every Mark amp I played thru.
I am one of those strange people that likes just about everything for what it is.
..... I think I well like the V.
A lot of people felt the people (knob twisters & switch flippers) who were setting up the V at NAMM could have done a better job.
Mark amps being hard to set up is not a mystery.....
It is much easier to get a bad sound than good.

Noe5 judging from your previous posts on the Mk IV (love/hate) I think I'll wait until I actually hear the Mk V myself before I pass judgement. :roll:

I know a few individuals who played the V at NAMM and have said if you love the IV you will love the V. These comments came from a couple of guys that plyed Mark series amps for years. Mine has been on order since January.

I hate the MkV so much, I've written a book about it called "The Worst Amp EVER". It's about 500 pages with some pictures, but I'll be releasing an updated/revised edition after I actually try the amp............

(actually....I'm anxious to try one and am worried I'll like it too much)

You're all correct for giving me grief.
However I feel that certain companies (PRS comes to mind), eventually lose that certain thing that made them unique and they almost become a carricature of themselves.
I can honestly say I have not liked the roadking, roadster, lonestars and am not a big fan of rectos although I can see their place. The Nomad was OK, but basically I feel that boogie is no longer the company it once was. When I think of the late 80's/early 90's, a time when products like the Mark, DC and Studio 22's came out, they were a revolution.
The Mark V, no matter how clever, appears to me like a marketing exercise first and foremost. Like they want to sell something to already happy Mark users. Kind of like Fender issuing reissues of everything to get a share of the second hand market they so greedily feel they miss out on.
Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think i would buy a new boogie, I am happier looking for treasures on the secondhand market for products that made boogie what it is.

Its kinda hard to talk sh!T on an amp that hasn't been released to the general public yet, but I don't want a mark v at all. My iv gives me more than I can use, and If anything, i would like to pick up a III. The mark v is for posers... thank you

Since pretty much no one I know, myself included, has ever actually tried a Mark V, not sure anyone can say it sucks.

even the youtube I saw, the dude was just bustin out fance little jazz riffs for the most part.

Sure he was a great player, but you couldn't hear much. I prefer to hear some chords ringing out, maybe some muted palm and perhaps some slow cleans. Not that the youtube would have given and accurate picture anyway.

Haven't owned it for long but I absolutely adore my Mark IV.

With regard to the V, I hope to get one someday, but like the other poster I am probably more interested in a III.

Besides, Mesa has a habit of updating there amps (Version B, Red Blue green stripe etc, Series 2, Version C then C+). I think I'll wait till they get a few revisions in

I see some people questioning whether Mesa still has the same culture and is still "the same company." Let me say that I live here in Petaluma, about 2 miles from the MB facility. I have owned and played Mesas since ordering my first Mark IIB in college in 1982. I have owned a couple Marks, Road King, Rectoverb, Nomad, Lonestar, Express, Heartbreaker, and probably one or two more I can't remember, being really old....

I can attest to the fact that Mesa is still located in their original Petaluma facility (after the moved to it from Marin) and many of the employees who were there at the beginning are still there. It is still privately owned and still a big part of the community. It really is one of the few companies that remains "centered" with a very personal and community based operation.

While those of us who identify with the "California sound" of the original Mark series may think the company has lost its way, it really hasn't. The company has been an innovator and sound 'generator." The created the two channel switchable amp, and created the saturated singing solo tone of the Mark that defined a sound and an era. Whether you like the Recto sound or series, it also has been iconic and defined a sound of an era. All the little "doodads" like interchannel modes, dynawatt, assignable power amp sections and on and on all reflect the company's commitment to change and innovation. While any of us may not like a particular direction or tone or flavor, the company has always continued to innovate and expand the sonic palette.

So, I dispute that the company has lost its way. It continues to innovate, test new boundaries and create new sonic palettes. They may not all resonate with the buying public, or we may not like a particular vibe, but the company was founded on innovation and creativity and pushing the boundaries ( of a tiny underpowered Fender combo to start), and has never stopped doing that. I have to give them credit for that.

If Randy released the Heartbreaker as a tribute to the original MkI, and now wants to release the MarkV as a way of paying tribute to the iconic sounds of the various generations of Mark amps, why not? He has given us so many incredible sounds and amps just within the Mark family. why not try and pay tribute to them. Is it any different than an artist releasing a "best of" compilation?

Oh, and I don't work for the company or have any personal or financial connection with MB. I just live here and love playing their amps. While I love my modded Heartbreaker, I just may have to try the Mark V.....
Brent

PS- So, let 'em rip, let me have it. I am just trying to stimulate some meaningful dialogue rather than guesses as to what we may like or not like about an amp we haven't played or heard.....

babow2 said:
While those of us who identify with the "California sound" of the original Mark series may think the company has lost its way, it really hasn't. The company has been an innovator and sound 'generator." The created the two channel switchable amp, and created the saturated singing solo tone of the Mark that defined a sound and an era. Whether you like the Recto sound or series, it also has been iconic and defined a sound of an era. All the little "doodads" like interchannel modes, dynawatt, assignable power amp sections and on and on all reflect the company's commitment to change and innovation. While any of us may not like a particular direction or tone or flavor, the company has always continued to innovate and expand the sonic palette.

When a band changes it's sound, people ***** that they're not what they used to be.

When a band doesn't change it's sound, people ***** that they keep releasing the same album over and over again.

Point is, some people like to whine and *****, and there's nothing you or I can do about it.

So, I dispute that the company has lost its way. It continues to innovate, test new boundaries and create new sonic palettes. They may not all resonate with the buying public, or we may not like a particular vibe, but the company was founded on innovation and creativity and pushing the boundaries ( of a tiny underpowered Fender combo to start), and has never stopped doing that. I have to give them credit for that.

It's my opinion that MB designs and builds amps that are first and foremost meant for live, gigging musicians. Studio musicians don't neccissarily need heads that'll fit inside a 19in rack, solo volume boosts, switchable channels, 400w bass amps, switchable FX loops, etc. The way I see it, he's watching to see how live musicians actually use his amps, and building alot of that functionality into it. Some 'tone purists' may not be happy with that mentality, but as a live musicians I appreciate alot of the 'bells and whistles' found on his amps.

That, and lets face it... the Mark IV is a glorified two channel amp with a third channel that almost no one uses it. If the Mark V shows up with three usable channels and a lead mode that's at least equal to the Mark IV it'll be a step forward.

screamingdaisy said:
That, and lets face it... the Mark IV is a glorified two channel amp with a third channel that almost no one uses it.

I have to disagree with it.

R2 channel is a very usable and beautiful sounding channel, and if somebody doesn't think so, it's just not the amp's fault.

straitouttahell said:
screamingdaisy said:
That, and lets face it... the Mark IV is a glorified two channel amp with a third channel that almost no one uses it.

I have to disagree with it.

R2 channel is a very usable and beautiful sounding channel, and if somebody doesn't think so, it's just not the amp's fault.

Hi, its been quite some time since I've posted here. This week I just became the proud owner of my first Mark IV. Its a '93 that I picked up used. In the past I've owned a DC-5, a Tremoverb, and briefly...a Rectoverb (my least favorite). I finally ditched my long time constant amp...a Marshall JCM 800 and came back to Boogie :D

I have to disagree as well on R2....I really like it and its the channel I've found myself using the most on the amp! I'd read so much complaining on reviews about how R1 cleans aren't that great, and R2 is unusable....so far I have no complaints and love the amp overall.

As far as the Mark V, looks like a killer amp. Only time will tell if it lives up to the hype. I definitely won't be able to afford one...look how long it took me to finally get around to a Mark IV lol.

Noe5 said:
I can honestly say I have not liked the lonestars

Have you played one? They are an incredible amp. haha

From what I hear from different people, the Mark V is going to be a wicked amp. Lonestar-like cleans, IIC+ and IV tones that are as close as the real thing. Sounds like my kind of amp.
That said, I'll definitely be waiting to play one before buying. haha

Different amp, but I was at NAMM, the Budda Superdrive just knocked me out. Diferent strokes for different folks.

One thing that bothers me about the Mark V is that it doesnt have the seperate gain/lead-drive knob combination that I think is a nesessity for dialing in your tone and getting the Mark sound. So it looks like you are only getting a sample of the IIC+ or the Mark IV where the gain is adjustable but the drives are at some preset value. No doubt that this amp will sound great, I just dont see any improvement over the Mark IV. :?

Back