tone settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermopunk

Reaction score
hello from hamburg,germany,
well i got a new mark iv b from 2006 and its really really the best,and my question is,is it possible to get a nearly marshall tone on mark iv?
i know he cant copy it exactly but i need the best direction to get it.who can help?
i use a marshall mk 2 before and now i`m missing the tone on my mark iv.
or is it hopelessly?

Honest answer: you're barking up the wrong tree if you're looking for Marshall tone.

HOWEVER, there are some things you can do to make your amp sound more British inspired. Firstly, replace your outer tubes with EL34s. Next, run the amp in Class A mode on Channel 2. Boost your upper mids as well.

Lastly, if that's not close enough, get yourself a marshally overdrive or distortion box. Yes, it will color the sound of your amp, but that's really what you're going to have to do at this point. A Mark IV will not be a Marshall ever, but it's great at what it does.

I highly suggest using an original Marhsall Guv'nor. They are absolutely awesome and very close to a JCM800 sound. I use it as a boost on the Mark IV for Rhythm 2 and Lead, but straight on the clean, it sounds like a Marshall for sure. An additional tube circuit after it would help warm it up a bit (i use a rocktron multivalve in the fx loop for that purpose), but the Guv'nor delivers the good on its own as well.
I can't believe that pedal is not more collectible than it is, truly one of the best (if not the best) "crunch" pedals I have ever played...

IMO, using the R2 channel will give you the best Marshall tone in the Mark IV. The graphic EQ and/or an external EQ with some of the upper-mid frequencies boosted will also get you closer the Marshall tone.

Latest posts

Back