I am putting a Vintage 30 in my Mark IV hardwood short combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noe5

Reaction score
...the EV on its own is just too brittle on tops. I need creamy mids and the Vintage 30 does that better. I will have the EV in a ext cab underneath, hopefully it will act more like a subwoofer that way.
I am however worried about blowing the V30 which rates at only 60 W.
If I keep at or under about 75% of the volume, it should ne right, shouldn't it?

Noe5 said:
...the EV on its own is just too brittle on tops. I need creamy mids and the Vintage 30 does that better. I will have the EV in a ext cab underneath, hopefully it will act more like a subwoofer that way.
I am however worried about blowing the V30 which rates at only 60 W.
If I keep at or under about 75% of the volume, it should ne right, shouldn't it?

I believe that they will draw the same power. I know for sure if they were wired together in the same cab they would react as if only 120watts. Basically the lowest wattage rules the roost or so I have heard. I have a 4x12 with 50w speakers in the top and EV 200 watts in the closed bottom. Sounds killer.

Noe - I think you are on to a good combination! The V30 will be fine (and sound great!) by itself in the combo - Roadster 1x12s come with a V30 and they are 50/100 watt amps. You'd have to REALLY push the amp HARD to devistate that speaker. The EV in a thiele cab would be right on the money combined with your open back combo! Just shop for an unloaded thiele to save you some money on the cab and shipping as well. You'll be very happy with this setup. I am sure of it!

I second the theile recommendation. I built my own for my Mark III. I moved the EV12L to the theile cabinet and put an eminence swamp thang in the combo. Couldn't be happier!

Well I only have a regular recto 12", it's not a thiele, but I have built a closed back for it.
I wonder if it will have close to the same effect as a thiele.
I will let you all know when I get this done, probable another week.

Back