Favourite choice of speaker for the MK IV 1x12" short combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noe5

Reaction score
I have got an EVM in mine and am thinking of swapping it for a Vintage 30 or other celestion. I play blues/rock/fusion and a bit of metal.
Any recommendations you could share? Keep in mind, I have got a hardwood version as well, which I believe makes quite a difference to the sound. The EVM just is too directional for my taste, lots of lows and highs which is great, but doesn't seem to hav a particularly warm sound. I would lke R1 to wrap me like a warm blanket..., currently it's mainly only good for bright funk type stuff.

I myself like the EVM the best. Tried a black stripe Mark III combo with V30 2 years ago, and I like EVM the best. V30 is better for closed back cabs anyway. Have you tried changing the pre and power tubes instead? I think it's simpler and not as involving. I know that won't solve the directionality problem you mentioned (which I don't seem to notice - guess I just like the tone), but it'll have a huge effect on the tone (though not as huge as a speaker change).

Thanks for your reply - I have got an EVM12 and a Vintage 30 Recto ext. cab and I think I like the Celestion better sound-wise. It's mellower and rounder, the EVM is almost to true in how it replicates the amp's nuances, I like the sound of an old amp. I play some metal, but mostly rock, blues and fusion and I think that's what's making the difference. The only problem now is finding a suitable replacement for the EVM which will still handle the Mark IV's massive output. I imagine a greenback would fry pretty quickly since it is only rated at 25W.
The other trick could be that I like the sound of the actual recto cab better too, I hear that the hardwood, although incredibly handsome, is not as nice sounding as a plain black vinyl cab.
Any thoughts on this? And has anyone experimented with different speakers for the MK IV except Vintage 30's and EVM12s?

Latest posts

Back