Does a Mark IV need processing to get to its full potential?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noe5

Reaction score
I have seen many videos on youtube and read articles about people using DBX compressors/gate into the effects loop, as well as BB preamps or tube screamers in front as well...etc.
I find the raw sound of the Mark IV, particularly Rhythm 1 and Rhythm 2, to be a bit underwhelming. I had a Peavey classic 30 at home the other day and I swear the clean tone sounded fuller, less brittle and warmer.
I have recently been experimenting with a Rocktron Multivalve in the loop and I am getting some nice results particularly with Rhythm 2. A bit of EQ and compression and I get nice transparent yet crunchy strat tones. I could never get anywhere close with the amp on its own. I am still working on some nicer Rhythm 1 tones (ala Classic 30/Fender Deluxe) which is quite difficult, but at least the Lead tones work great either with processing or raw.
Still, I wish I could take this amp to a jam night and not feel like someone else's $500 Classic 30 is going to some more tubey than my expensive Mark IV unless I trick it with processing.
I am just wondering if most of you "trick" your Mark IV's with any external devices, and if so, how?

No ...

If you are trying to make rhy 2 sound like a Marshall ?
It does not sound like a Marshall or any other amp.
It sounds like rhy 2 on the Mark IV.

The Peavey Classic 30 has a great clean sound.
I do not think it sounds better than the IV clean.
Just different ......

If you want the sound of "whatever" amp get that amp and do not waste your time and money trying to make your "current amp" sound like something else.
I feel all the stuff people add to there rig almost always makes it sound worse. But that is my point of view.
I have seen people make this mistake for 30+ years.

The price of gear does not and well not make it sound better.
There is lots of expensive of gear I feel sounds bad.
There is lots of cheap gear that does sound great.
This is not a mystery ......

This is what I use most of the time with a IV.
A wa.

If you like something else with the amp that's your taste and I think that's great. Lots of people feel that way.
Good luck chasing the "Dragon".

I use the lead as my "rhythm" channel and the BB wit the eq on it which is amazing as my lead but that’s just me you might not like that violin like Eric Johnson tone like I do :)

I agree 100% don’t try to make anything sound like anything else try to find your own sound you’ll be happier that way

I use a Fulltone FD-2 MOSFET only to boost the front end of R2. I've always liked the tone of it...but just felt it needed a bit of clean boost.

To the contrary, I find R1 to be quite "shimmery" and full-bodied on my particular M-IV.

The MESA tone isn't for everyone, but it's sure GREAT at what it does.

A couple of weeks after I bought it I took it to a friend's studio. He has TONS of gear, and played his '74 strat through my head and Avatar/Genz Benz cabs. He proclaimed it to be the finest amp he's ever heard, and he's a die-hard Fender and Soldano guy. I think I saw some tears of joy..... :D

Thanks for the replies... my frustration with the MK IV may well be the "boxyness" of the short 1x12" combo speaker/cabinet combination I spoke about in another post.
I find that putting a Zvex SHO in front of R1 makes a big difference and really makes it come to life, and certainly re EQ'ing and compressing the R2 with external processor makes a huge difference. I also find that no matter what I need a subtly dialled in OD pedal in front if the lead channel for actual solos.
I guess its hard for me to grab the MK IV combo to a gig with nothing else and to be happy with the results... Then again I tried a Marshall JVM4 combo at a stor recently and I almost puked, boy that was bad, and they are asking similar money to a MK IV for one of those.

Mine is in a combo right now. I keep it this way because it is great for a grab and go for jamming.
Most of the time I run a full stack. V30/H30 and V30/greenback
I like this sound much better regardless of the volume I am using (TV-stage) and know believe I understand your tone problem.

I recommend trying a few cabs and different speakers to see what you like. This may make a huge difference. I believe this well make a huge difference in rhy 2. By the way the Mark IV is my favorite amp for effects of the {around a dozen} I have.

That's interesting to hear, I am really starting to think that either the hardwood cab, or the EVM, or both are the reason why I am unhappy with the results of the combo on its own. For some reason, it doesn't seem that many people have experienced with other speakers except the Vintage 30 and EVM.
I am seriously thinking about switching the EVM out of the combo into my recto ext cab and putting the Vintage 30 in the combo. Any opinions on hardwood cab vs "plain" cab tones?

Have you tried it into your extension cab ?
Open back ?
How many speakers in that cab ?
Do you have any other speakers/cabs ?

I have not A/B the hardwood and the standard. But it seems to me the Hardwood is a bit rounder/smoother.

Noe5 said:
That's interesting to hear, I am really starting to think that either the hardwood cab, or the EVM, or both are the reason why I am unhappy with the results of the combo on its own. For some reason, it doesn't seem that many people have experienced with other speakers except the Vintage 30 and EVM.
I am seriously thinking about switching the EVM out of the combo into my recto ext cab and putting the Vintage 30 in the combo. Any opinions on hardwood cab vs "plain" cab tones?

Different stroke 4 diff folks....I've owned the MK IV in just about every form factor it came in...and by far prefer my current Hardwoord (Bubinga) 1x12 compact combo w/EV

Since I put this post up, I have had a chance to experiment quite a bit, and I believe that processing comes in handy with strats, in particular if you are after slightly more modern sounds. I use a Rocktron Multivalve in the loop for EQ, Comp, Tube gain and Hush functions, and it really "energizes" the sound. The in-between strat positions sound clearer in Rhy 2 and Lead, yet there is still plenty of sustain.
However, I recently had a lot of success with running a Vintage 30 only out of the combo, and plugging in straight (no rack) with a Les Paul. Great Robben Ford up to Gary Moore sounds (needed an external OD to reach Gary Moore's liquid tone however).
So, in my opinion both processed and un-processed are valid options, depending on what I require.
With that in mind, what an amazingly versatile amp this is. F#ck the Mark V!

Latest posts

Back