C+ and pedals..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
Does anyone else find that your C+ doesn't take pedals very well? Specifically fuzz pedals. I'm a big fuzz head so I love running them into clean channels on my amps.. and most of them just sound flat out bad with the C+

I think it's because of how bright the C+ is.. I tried pushing in every knob, changing the EQ, running in both channels, no joy.

My Mark IV, which has a darker clean channel, on the other hand works fantastically. It's like they're completely different pedals when I compare the two amps.

Any insight into this? I'd love to use them with my C+s but it's just too ear fatiguing and non-musical.

I've only like two pedals into the IIC+. A Klon Centaur and BB Preamp, both of which have a treble control.
It's still going to be difficult to control the volume. When boosted the clean channel gets extra loud and at decent master volumes it's tough for your
lead channel to keep up even at higher Lead Master settings.

Boogiebabies said:
You can try a Volume pedal at the end of the effects chain.

What does the Mark IV do differently that allows me to utilize it better?

Individual channel volumes and a host of other nuances like the PT, OT, Presence circuits and power amp circuits.
The MK IV has always had better manners. It's like a C+ in a tuxedo. As demure as the IV is, it will never have the brash
uncompressed nasty nature of the C+.

Boogiebabies said:
Individual channel volumes and a host of other nuances like the PT, OT, Presence circuits and power amp circuits.
The MK IV has always had better manners. It's like a C+ in a tuxedo. As demure as the IV is, it will never have the brash
uncompressed nasty nature of the C+.

...excellent description!

I am itching to try one of the Xotic RC Booster pedals in front of the C+. The goal is to be able to lower the Lead Drive for a biting rhythm tone in the lead channel. Then goose it with the pedal for more input signal (solos), without compromising the original guitar tone very much. Has anyone tried this pedal with the C+ ??? :twisted:

P.S.- What C+ brotherhood? :roll: I wouldn't know anything about it. :lol:
I used the amp switcher today, with a C+ and the Lonestar. 8) 8) 8)

I've been watching a local Stiletto Deuce II for over a year now. It sits in a former Boogie dealer's store with a blown tube, probably from day one. It, combined with the 10/50/100 Lonestar and a couple of C+ Boogies would eliminate the need for any pedals. :twisted:

dodger916 said:
Not to be a cork-sniffer, but for me, putting a pedal in front of a C+ kinda defeats the purpose...

The RC Booster that I was talking about is not an OD or Fuzz, but a transparent clean boost. I have found a really good rhythm tone in the lead mode with my Les Paul, but it requires the Lead Drive to be set around "4". This is sometimes not quite enough gain for single note soloing at its finest. The concept is to use the pedal to jack up the line signal (much like turning the Lead Drive up some). And you could use the Bass & Treble controls to fine tune the solo sound without straying too much from the fundamental C+ sound.

Platypus said:
Does anyone else find that your C+ doesn't take pedals very well? Specifically fuzz pedals. I'm a big fuzz head so I love running them into clean channels on my amps.. and most of them just sound flat out bad with the C+

I think it's because of how bright the C+ is.. I tried pushing in every knob, changing the EQ, running in both channels, no joy.

Hi there! What speaker are you using with your C+? Also, is it Simulclass or a 60/100?
regards

gts said:
I have picked up a couple of pedals and need to start experimenting a bit more. One is a Lovepedal called a Kanji. It definately added some C+=esque tone to the clean channel. It's medium gain pedal. Oddly when using it in lead mode it's didn't do much, almost like the lead channels tone was out-toning the pedal.

Another is a Timmy by Paul Cochrane. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. It's supposed to be a pedal which really doesn't color ones tone aka is very transparent. It's more of a low gain pedal. It's configured with both a Treble and Bass knob but both are roll-offs. So as you "turn them up" they are in fact cutting the specific frequency. This may help with the brightness Drew but then again it's not a fuzz pedal.

I was looking to add some grit to the clean channel to make it sort of a three channel amp. I have also tried and Fulltone OCD a little. Bottom line I haven't spent enough time with any of the three to see how well the C+ takes or doesn't take these OD pedals. Time to breath in some Nitrous and see how I like it.

My C+'s take a delay pretty well and a chorus and envelope filter.

It may be the level of gain you are set up for so when you go to the fuzz pedal it's bad.
Maybe wierd to do this but have you tried it in the loop?

George,

My C+'s love textural effects, it's just fuzz that seems to be an issue. Even OD pedals are well received. I use my TS or an OCD, etc with no issues. I've tried all levels of gain and volume and EQ settings and my Mark IV just walks all over the C+ as far as fuzz goes. I don't mind that much because I don't gig with my C+ but it's just something I was curious if anyone had a solution for. I haven't tried the fuzz in the loop but I might, I don't know if it will help but it will sound interesting regardless ;)

igfraso said:
Platypus said:

Hi there! What speaker are you using with your C+? Also, is it Simulclass or a 60/100?
regards

I have a simulclass one and a 60/100 one, both have the same issue though the 60/100 sounds 'better' with fuzz. I am using either V30's or EV12L's.

I have a 60/100 combo with an export transformer and an Eminence Black Shadow MS-12 speaker (150 watt, the one with the ribbed cone).
I haven't noticed any specific problems with fuzz but... a) maybe the "ribbed" MS-12 is a more forgiving speaker, or... b) my ears are much older than yours :(
regards

JOEY B. said:
dodger916 said:
Not to be a cork-sniffer, but for me, putting a pedal in front of a C+ kinda defeats the purpose...

The RC Booster that I was talking about is not an OD or Fuzz, but a transparent clean boost. I have found a really good rhythm tone in the lead mode with my Les Paul, but it requires the Lead Drive to be set around "4". This is sometimes not quite enough gain for single note soloing at its finest. The concept is to use the pedal to jack up the line signal (much like turning the Lead Drive up some). And you could use the Bass & Treble controls to fine tune the solo sound without straying too much from the fundamental C+ sound.
That makes sense, Joey. I love the lead channel for rhythm too, running the lead drive between 4 and 6.5. For me, the guitar volume, pickup selector (Les Paul) and/or Eq switching gives me what I need for leads. I prefer going pedal-free if I can, but I can see where a clean boost would compliment the C+ well.

dodger916 said:

As they say, the world is boring if you can only paint in one color. ;)

Back