first post, old Mark I

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kludge

Reaction score
I lucked into an original Mark I this weekend - chassis dated 11-76 (signed RCS), reverb and graphic eq, blonde tolex. Good working condition, but it's definitely led an interesting life. So some questions...

1. It's got a nasty stain on the speaker grill. Any suggestions for how to clean it without damaging the original materials?
2. The speaker is a JBL K-120. Any way to tell if it's original?
3. Any suggestions on taming the OMFGTHISAMPISINSANELYLOUDWTFBBQ? Attenuator, maybe? I don't need bedroom levels - just small-club levels for a working band.

And any recommendations for settings? It's an interesting game to dial it in, but also a pain because everything interacts with everything else. In particular, I'd like to get a tone dialed in that I can control volume-wise with the master (or another gain knob) without much change from volume to volume. I've learned enough to know to keep the bass way low. I've tried 7-7-master on the gains with good results.

At the shop where I bought it, the sales guy was an old Boogie nerd and taught me tricks. One was cranking V1 and master to 10 and governing volume with V2, then using a treble booster to push it into Marshall-style crunch. Interesting!

Hi kludge,

I own a Mark 1 reissue combo. For Fenderish cleans I like to use the following setting. It's referred to as `The Magic 6'.

Plug into #2, V1 is at 0.

V2-6
Master-to taste
Treble-6
Bass-2
Middle-3
Presence-to taste

I've never heard of the setting that you posted...I've got to give that a try

Just heard about these... Sounds like they could be a good fit for some of these boogies...

http://fluxtone-speakers.com/

kludge said:
I lucked into an original Mark I this weekend - chassis dated 11-76 (signed RCS), reverb and graphic eq, blonde tolex. Good working condition, but it's definitely led an interesting life. So some questions...

1. It's got a nasty stain on the speaker grill. Any suggestions for how to clean it without damaging the original materials?
2. The speaker is a JBL K-120. Any way to tell if it's original?
3. Any suggestions on taming the OMFGTHISAMPISINSANELYLOUDWTFBBQ? Attenuator, maybe? I don't need bedroom levels - just small-club levels for a working band.

And any recommendations for settings? It's an interesting game to dial it in, but also a pain because everything interacts with everything else. In particular, I'd like to get a tone dialed in that I can control volume-wise with the master (or another gain knob) without much change from volume to volume. I've learned enough to know to keep the bass way low. I've tried 7-7-master on the gains with good results.

At the shop where I bought it, the sales guy was an old Boogie nerd and taught me tricks. One was cranking V1 and master to 10 and governing volume with V2, then using a treble booster to push it into Marshall-style crunch. Interesting!

Hi,

Do you have any pics of the chassis inside...I am interested in the layout/wiring. Thanks in advance !

Bob

Back