Mark IIC+ with simul-class. Questions.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketRick

Reaction score
I have a mid 80's model. Very lightly played with orig tubes.

1. Was it designed so that it would not work UNLESS the Master was turned up above zero? I think yes, just not sure.

2. Is it possible to get low volume long sustain with just the amp? If so, what would the setting be?

Have Custom Strat, LP Studio(new), LP Dble curtaway(2-P90's), '56 Jr(1-P90).

Gonna read the "Guide for Dummies" next.

Edit: Went thru docs. Bought it in 5/31/84. Found orig receipt & letter from Randall & Rayven Smith.
Also found a page with 9-Sample Settings. That may help some.

thanks

RR
=========

If you are only playing the lead mode you can crank the Master Volume to 4-5 and put the Lead Master at 0-1. This combined with a Volume 1 setting of at least 8 will get you some sustain at a lower volume level. Just don't switch into rhythm mode, as it will take your head off with the Master set this high. :D

Thanks JB I'll try that.

I cranked it the other night to full ti try and get sustain and it did take my head off. I only found it by hearing the pup licking something on the floor. Ha!

I got worried it was hurting my pups ears as he was laying on the floor in front of the amp. I know my ears rang the next day..Must of been above 90 db huh?

I'd say be careful with the pup. :wink: Dogs, and most animals in general have much more sensitive ears than humans..

http://ezinearticles.com/?Your-Dogs-Sense-of-Hearing---More-Sensitive-Than-You-Might-Think&id=130571

I love Google.

Let's turn this into a pet forum! :D

Octavarius said:
I'd say be careful with the pup. :wink: Dogs, and most animals in general have much more sensitive ears than humans..

Let's turn this into a pet forum! :D

Not to hijack the thread, but just a funny experience I had. I was wanting to build a back seat/dog carrier for my pup to ride with me on my motorcycle. If I were riding a Goldwing that may have been ok, but my bike is a big cruiser and thumps pretty loud. The last thing I want is a dog that looks at me when I call and goes "whaaaaaat?????". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder if there is such a thing as Canine Tinnitus?

Mongo & all,

I have tinnitus pretty bad. I get by with ignoring it mostly. I know caffeine and alcohol aggravate it but I'm weak I guess.

I think I got it via playing loud music and shooting guns..

There is no cure.

Moral? Wear ear protection when you can.

So...back to topic. No way to get much sustain with just the boogie huh? Too bad...

RR

RocketRick said:
Mongo & all,

I have tinnitus pretty bad. I get by with ignoring it mostly. I know caffeine and alcohol aggravate it but I'm weak I guess.

I think I got it via playing loud music and shooting guns..

There is no cure.

Moral? Wear ear protection when you can.

So...back to topic. No way to get much sustain with just the boogie huh? Too bad...

RR

Rick,

You definitely can get mucho sustain from a C+ at bedroom volumes, I have two of them and they both sing at very low settings. When I get home I'll post my settings for you.

Thanks Platy I'd appreciate that.

Hey, if I put a GNX4 into the return on the back, does it bypass the 1st stage or? I mean I can just try it and start turning knobs but was wondering EXACTLY what is functional and not using the return(in) on the rear.

RR

RocketRick said:
Mongo & all,
No way to get much sustain with just the boogie huh? Too bad...

RR
I get singing sustain with my MKIV and Studio Preamp at respectable bedroom volumes. Respectable is relative, my relatives don't mind. My neighbors... well I've never gotten any feedback from them, just my amp.... hehehehe.

Seriously, a Boogie (probably any Boogie) should be well able to produce a great sustain with the appropriate tweaking of the gains. I expect a IIC+ should be able.

So, coffee aggravates tinnitus? CRAP!
I'm on my 3rd cup and my ears are singing their usual monotone song...

Between the "Master", and the "Lead Master", whichever is higher determines the actual loudness.
Most of the "sustain" of amps like Boogies lies in the pre-amp, so crank the "Volume" and "Lead Drive", using the above-mentioned "Masters" to keep the loudness in check. If you need infinite "sustain" using a spanky-clean sound, buy a compressor and put it between the guitar and amp input.
Of course, so-called "sustain" is also a function of guitar set-up, and the way you use your fingers.
Now, if you're talking about "sustain" in terms of "feedback", yes, you gotta turn the whole amp up to get that special interaction between the speaker and pickups.

MrMark,

I read thru lots of threads searching with "sustain"..

Another thing I read was that the input from the guitar souldn't be overlooked. After measuring all the pole distances I'm gonna try some experiments with pole height.

I stink my '56 Jr has its poles very near the strings. I may be the best axe at it as things are. It'll play but I gotta do setup on it as soon as I get to it and add a tonproe bridge I just received. Intonation adjustable.

Thanks for your input.

Platy,

I was just reading all the info that came with my amp and I discovered something I had forgot.

In the lower position, the amp is 15 watts. In the up position its 75 watts and adds 2 more 6L6's. Seems like sustain at 15 watts won't be earsplitting..

RR

RocketRick said:
Platy,

I was just reading all the info that came with my amp and I discovered something I had forgot.

In the lower position, the amp is 15 watts. In the up position its 75 watts and adds 2 more 6L6's. Seems like sustain at 15 watts won't be earsplitting..

RR

I run mine in Simul-class mode, so all 4 power tubes are active. The trick is balancing the volume levels of the clean and lead as the two modes are basically shared. If you run your Vol 1 lower you are cutting the available power to the lead mode, which is counter-intuitive at first, but makes sense if you think about it.

Rick,

I found my settings in another post here.

Vol 1: 9 pulled
Treble: 7 pulled
Bass: 2.5 pulled
Middle: 2
Master 1: 1.5-2 pulled
Lead Drive: 8 pulled
Lead Master: 3 pulled
Reverb: 4/5/6 (to taste, my C+s are different here)
Presence: 5/6/6 (to taste, my C+s are different here)

EQ is your basic V with the far right two sliders a bit lower. Use Master 1 as your volume control.

Try those out with your 'Paul and if you can't get miles of sustain and gain then there may be a tube issue at play.

VERY nice Platy thanks for your time and help. I'm saving this thread for the future..

I'll try it out a little later today and let ya know..

Whats weird is I have all the transformers for the Playing room remoted in the garage. I took the Boogie downstairs and even with that there was lots of hum. The transformers are all in a metal box on the other side of the wall where I had the boogie plugged in. When I cut the lights the hum went away. That was with the LP Studio. I'll try it on the other side of the room as the interference may be coming thru the wall. Lights are on separate circuit.

Later

RR

RocketRick said:
Platy,

RR
Loudness is measured on a logarithmic scale (times 10), so 75 watts is not 5 times louder than 15 watts. To be twice as loud as 15 watts, you need 10 times the power, or 150 watts.

Platy,

Well it worked great for the LP Studio. The Old Jr basically had too much feedback unless ya want it LOUD and the Strat was still suffering from my attempt to do its setup after I replaced the 10's.

Will try raising the strings on the Strat and see.

Still gotta try the, new to me, LP Studio with 2-P90's.

Thanks a lot Platy for taking the time to educate me on the Boogie sets.

Salute and have a great year.

Rick

Rick, glad it worked out for you.

Try backing down the Lead Drive to about 4 or 5 and push in the Lead Master with your Strat or P90s, I've found the pull settings work better with humbuckers but to each their own. You'll get howling feedback with those settings on a P90, thats for sure :)

Hope all goes well!

Oh I'll try that. The pups are diff.

I see it's gonna take me a LONG TIME to get to know the amp well. Complicated.

Hey if I plug in my GNX4 into the return on the back will it work? The GNX4 works best with PA system of maybe monitors with wide freq range. Not thru the amp via the guitar input. Going thru the guitar jack gives the amp sound and the GNX4 sound and it's a mixture that doesn't work well.

Also Platy. Was gonna try putting 2-diff speakers in it and see what it does. One TT and one hemp reconed JBL E-120.

Ever tried doing that?

Hey, no I've never used a device with mine before so I can't help you there unfortunately. As for the speakers, I've used an MC90, a V30 and an EV12L with my C+ and I think the EV12L is the best. It's a much more honest speaker and is a lot clearer. The V30 is my next choice because while it does color the tone, I like the sound it produces.

The amp seems complicated at first but it's really not, you just have to keep in mind how the Boogie EQ works, you'll get the hang of it.

Back