Boogie newbie... school me!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabemcg

Reaction score
Gigged with a 68' Plexi and 73' Orange 4x12 for awhile, then started using my 61' AC30... but after a buddy of mine starting showing up to gigs with an old blonde(white? cream?) MkI, I got jealous of the size. His MkI got stolen and replaced with a MkIV. I LOVED the way the MkI sounded (the MkIV sounded very weak and thin to my ears), so now I am on a quest to get myself a Boogie! The George Thorogood tone on "1 Bourbon 1 Scotch 1 Beer" (which I understand to be a Boogie combo?) is great! I love the old Fender 6L6 tone, but the Boogie is more ballsy to me and WAY more responsive to dynamic playing.

Anyway... someone local to me has, what I THINK, is a MkIIB, hardwood cab with upgraded 12" speaker and simu-class in good condition. Effects loop, silver capped knobs, etc... I think that makes it a IIB?

What are the tonal differences between the MkI and MkII amps (or specifically, the MkIIB)?

My desire is to have a channel switching amp that will give me a dynamic rhythm/lead channel as well as a high headroom clean sound (similar to talking heads david byrne on a few of their records).

Am I looking in the right place?

I'd say a Mark II would definitely work. Channel 2 is great for strong but articulate rhythms, with a rock/blues oriented lead sound. This works for me as I lower my guitar volume (or switch pups on a Les Paul) for rhythm, and then boost volume or switch pups for leads. I have a IIC that I love.

Latest posts

Back