Mark IIc with IIc+ faceplate?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joelschaos

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a newb here :D and just wanted to share a story you guys will appreciate, as well as maybe contribute something to the history of the Boogie.

When I was in high school, I had a friend named Bill. He was unbelievably awesome at guitar (at least, I thought he was then). He invited me over to his house one day only to see his mysterious amp, in which he himself didn't even know what it was. He said his uncle gave it to him as a gift (some gift! :lol: ). All we knew was that it said "Boogie" on it, and it was the most unbelievable sounding amp we had ever heard!

After a year of knowing him, Bill bought a car with no engine. His girlfriend lived about a half an hour away, so he really wanted to go see her more often than usual. So, he decided to put his amp up for sale. Luckily my father had made me get a job and had me put all my money in the bank. So he ended up selling me his amp head, a 2x12 cab, the original Boogie 1x12 cab, a guitar stand and some cables for $650 USD. This was in 2000.

So yeah I sorta lucked out there.

Ever since then I've been on a quest to identify my amp. I'm sure most Boogie owners have shared in the hunt, as I see how much goes into identifying these little guys... for I a while I just assumed it was a one of a kind, until I saw the amp in a picture inside the Weezer Blue Album cover. So I decided to look it up on the net, and voila. All sorts of info!

For about the past six years I've just assumed that I own a IIc, because there is no "+" over the power cord, until yesterday when I stumbled upon this forum and read the sticky that's all on IIc+'s. I had never realized that there was a difference in faceplates from the IIc to the IIc+, with the Master Volume pot either being "Pull Gain" or "Pull Deep", respectively. My faceplate says "Pull Deep". So I thought maybe there's hope! Then I read about the effects return test... and I am now positive I only have a IIc.

The only thing I am confused about is the faceplate. The sticky on the IIc+'s says that a few transitional IIc's were given IIc+ faceplates, and "almost made it" to a c+. However, the first IIc+'s are said to be around the 12,500 number. My IIc is 11803. Isn't that a little early to be having a IIc+ faceplate? Also, there is a little mark under the utility outlet in the back. Does that have any meaning?

Here are some pics-

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=286047&l=28f89&id=1132628067
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=286048&l=b60d2&id=1132628067
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=286049&l=8492e&id=1132628067

One of my C+'s is a C->C+ upgrade and it has an 11XXX serial number and the C+ faceplate as well.

interestingly enough, I have an original C+ with a IIC faceplate, go figure.

The first C+'s were around 12,3XX. It's not too odd that it has a "Pull Deep" face plate. Mesa had them before December of 1983 as it was a revision
to the IIC face plate. Adversely, their are IIC+'s running around with "Gain Boost" face plates that fall within the serial number range.
The simple answer is that during production, they grabbed from whatever box of face plates they had next to them during
the phase out of "Gain Boost" plates. One should remember that Mesa would have needed to deplete non-eq, eq and long chassis
"Gain Boost" plates. The last to go were the long chassis. The closest way to ID the production date of your amp is to see the markings on the side of
the chassis. It will say " S " and have a two digit week code, then, there will be a month and year for the final tech date on the bottom of the chassis.
For instance, I have a DRG 38. It was started in September 1984 and it's final tech date is November 1984.

Good Luck.

Alright awesome. Thanks so much for the quick response! I'll pull that baby apart and get the number.

Um how much do you guys think my amp is worth? It's pretty much a bottom of the line IIc, 60 watt with no reverb or eq... I know you can send it in to get upgrades but I don't know what that does to the price. I don't know if I would ever feel safe shipping my Boogie all the way to Cali anyways.

Joelschaos said:
Alright awesome. Thanks so much for the quick response! I'll pull that baby apart and get the number.

Um how much do you guys think my amp is worth? It's pretty much a bottom of the line IIc, 60 watt with no reverb or eq... I know you can send it in to get upgrades but I don't know what that does to the price. I don't know if I would ever feel safe shipping my Boogie all the way to Cali anyways.

That's a tough question. Depending on if you are the buyer or seller. In this economy it's like dealing with used car salesmen.

Buyer: Asking $ 1500
Seller- I'll give you $ 600
Buyer- I'll take $ 1300
Seller- I'll give you $ 625 and a 1989 Ford F-150.

I'm not kidding either..

Yeah I figured that's what I'd get haha. I don't ever plan on selling it, I was just wondering.

Hey I would consider myself an A+ solder technician, are there any mods (like adding reverb) that anyone knows how to perform on the IIc? Does anyone know how to do the IIc->IIc+ mod? Does anyone even have schematics of these amps? Or am I pretty much at the mercy of Mike Bendinelli?

It had to be ordered with reverb to get the right circuit board. I have never seen an SP-11A with added reverb point to point.
The schematic will be of little help to try an upgrade, especially on a non-reverb circuit board. Mike B. would be
the only tech to do the + upgrade on the SP-11A. Most of us are happy to be at his mercy. He's a great guy and extremely helpful with his creation. :D

Sorry for all the questions but I have another one... do you have some recommendations for a speaker to use with the IIc? The one I use now seems to make a buzzing noise whenever I play out of it, so I'm planning on replacing it.

Joelschaos said:
Sorry for all the questions but I have another one... do you have some recommendations for a speaker to use with the IIc? The one I use now seems to make a buzzing noise whenever I play out of it, so I'm planning on replacing it.
My IIC combo has the Eminence Black Shadow 150 watts. I also have an EVM 12L-loaded 1x12 1/2-back cab that I've experimented with. Frankly, I like them both! The Eminence is not as articulate as the EVM, but I like its sound too. I think the lows are a little tigher with the EVM, and the highs a little brighter and tighter....more "Fendery" if you will. The Eminence sounds a bit more "Marshally" to me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. As with most things musical, it's a matter of taste and desired style.

dodger916 said:
Joelschaos said:
My IIC combo has the Eminence Black Shadow 150 watts. I also have an EVM 12L-loaded 1x12 1/2-back cab that I've experimented with. Frankly, I like them both! The Eminence is not as articulate as the EVM, but I like its sound too. I think the lows are a little tigher with the EVM, and the highs a little brighter and tighter....more "Fendery" if you will. The Eminence sounds a bit more "Marshally" to me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. As with most things musical, it's a matter of taste and desired style.

Exactly.

Latest posts

Back