Mark IV problem!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck steak

Reaction score
I've recently bought a mark iv off ebay. Ive noticed when you turn the reverb up the more you turn it the worse the sound gets.its sounds horrible when its not on zero. even when its on zero its tolerable but nothing to write home about.Ive had it since june of last year.Had all the tubes replaced it november and looked over by a tech. Also i find the sound is very trebely the more volume you give it, regardless of the setting.Could it be related to the reverb issue or the cheap cab i got? i think its sounds like trash the higher the volume gets.I payed ALOT of money for it, so im very upset! :(

We're sorry no one replied to your question in less than half an hour. Let us all put our jobs aside and help you.

Try selling the MKIV if it's not what you want.

chuck steak said:
wow this forum sucks

You didn't even wait 30 minutes?

Anyway, are you sure all the preamp tubes were replaced? I would tap the V4 preamp tube with a pencil while the amp is on and see if you get a lot of noise from it. V4 controls the second gain stage and half of the reverb. V3 also controls half but that doesn't coincide with your noise/treble issue when you turn up the volume.

oh was thinking it was like an hour and a half. i didnt check. anyway, i dont have noise issues. It sounds like there are alot of high mids even with them cut on the eq. I think its my cheap *** cab. also there is no reverb tank, could that cause it

ketiov said:
We're sorry no one replied to your question in less than half an hour. Let us all put our jobs aside and help you.

Try selling the MKIV if it's not what you want.
ive played mark iv's at GC a while back and they sounded GREAT! But that was thru a mesa cab.

Plug your head into a other cab then you well know ?

...... Everyone knows this forum sucks ....
That's why we come back here.

Just kidding amp problems suck and I know how that can be.

You need to check everything Guitar / amp / chords / speakers /etc.
You can not say it is anything till you do this....

Good luck finding the problem.
This is why I do not buy anything with out trying it first.

chuck steak said:
oh was thinking it was like an hour and a half. i didnt check. anyway, i dont have noise issues. It sounds like there are alot of high mids even with them cut on the eq. I think its my cheap *** cab. also there is no reverb tank, could that cause it

Why would you turn up the reverb knob if you have no tank??????? What brand of speakers are in this cheap *** cab? What is your presence setting, pushed or pulled on this knob?

I believe this was a reflection of the amp problem more than the forum.
I mean I do not get payed for helping people here.
And I work for myself....
People with this attitude are asked to come back when they come down to a more normal temperature..... :idea: :arrow: :?: :mrgreen:

Chuck a day is more normal for a forum that runs at this speed.
Even at that when you post ~ it may be longer.

You can delete that from the thread if you want ?

I didn't want to reply you at first, but my will to help was stronger.

I had the same problem with mine. I removed the reverb tank and found that a cable got unsoldered inside it. Re-soldered it, and my reverb started working again.

This forum does suck. I was going to ask a question and nobody read my mind and gave me the answer before I asked. :lol:

MkiV reverb isn't know for being the greatest. It's just something we have to live with.

Scott

Experimenting with different speakers will make a bigger difference than one might think at first. If you have an EVM, you may want to try a Celestion V30. Eventhough the EVM is absolutely indestructible and offers massive bottom end and hifi like tops, it may not be what you want. I have been trying to fix this for ages with pedals, valves, settings...etc only to find that the speaker was actually what I had a problem with. No experience with your reverb issue however. I hope this helps nonetheless.

Back