retube, which will give my mk3 a tighter bottom end

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony777

Reaction score
the 6L6/EL34 combo will produce lesser low end in the MKIII which is a nice thing, that amp is incredibly bassy.
So I would recommend that route.

That combo can ONLY be used if your amp is simul-class.

Tony

You could also try leaving the deep switch off. That's one of those things that sounds better in the bedroom than at full volume.

If you can find Mesa STR415's (no longer made) those rock. I always go for STR454's (no longer made) or SED winged C's. These are all 6L6's btw.

are the 6l6 440 really bad compared to those tubes? I mean is the SED so much better than the regular mesa 440 tube?

I like the 440. I just prefer the ones I mentioned before. It's all a matter of opinion.
Doesn't matter what tube it is as long as you like it.

boogietone said:
I like the 440. I just prefer the ones I mentioned before. It's all a matter of opinion.

Ya but if it's my first tube change ... should I just go with Mesa and see of I like it or not? Can I return the tubes to Mesa if I don't like them?

I think all 6L6 will be tighter. I'm using a quad of =C= 6L6's and my Mark III is insanely tight, and incredibly responsive. I keep the bass knob at 0, deep switch pulled, and the lowest GEQ slider just below the top line, and the bass is full yet still very tight. I also use EVM's which are a bit tighter than the average speaker.

Dror520 said:
boogietone said:

Ya but if it's my first tube change ... should I just go with Mesa and see of I like it or not? Can I return the tubes to Mesa if I don't like them?

I don't know Mesa's policy in regards to returning tubes. Your best bet is to call them @ 707-778-6565 to be sure. Their
customer service is awesome!

I contacted them and they told me that their return policy is only for tubes that fail ... not for tubes that you don't like in your amp. which makes sense ...

Okay, after a couple rehearsals, I can now say for certain that the best thing I have found to tighten up lows (besides getting a different cab), especially in a band situation, is play at a proper volume (i.e. loud) and turn off the deep switch, which I think is meant mostly for lower volume or single-coils. I used to always have Deep on kind of by default, but then I was wondering why I always sounded muddy on rehearsal tapes. Having Deep off also gives single-note leads more bite and complexity, especially on the bass strings.

Turn the deep switch off and turn the Bass knob up a little, just to like 1.5 or 2, or GEQ as required.

The III isn't supposed to have a crushing modern-style anvil of bass-- it's from the late 80s. You can get goofy low end out of it but it really kind of ruins the voicing of the rest of the amp when you do that.

On the tube side, though, if you have the scratch and want a beefy low end, these NOS Siemens EL34s are worth every single penny. SED =C=s sound better in Rectos, which really do need the bottom tightened up, but these Siemens tubes own in Mark IIIs. As well, they seem to be very durable, I have been playing the sh!t out of a pair for a good seven months now and the tone hasn't changed one bit.

EL34's with 6L6 in simul-class will suck up some of the bass as opposed to four 6L6, and give a bit more mids (IMO). My friends amp uses some good NOS pre's Nothing extraordinary, a couple organ pulls and a Westinghouse for V1. As for Power he swears by winged "C" for 34's and 6L6. Hope this helps.

Back