Best Jazz Sound with Mark IIC+ or Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L5man

Reaction score
Hi all,

A few questions - could use some help and insight please...

Anyone have any really good settings for a Mark for clean archtop L5-style jazz with good clarity and good bottom?

Anyone use a Mark combo with any of the Raezer's Edge cabinets?

Given that one can't get a new EVM-12L with a Mesa Thiele cabinet now, what is the best sounding of the Mesa speakers
to mate a Thiele with a Mark combo with EVM-12L?

Many players use a Thiele/EVM and a combo with the standard Mesa/Celestion C-90. You could get the Thiele/C-90 and just switch combo/cab speakers.
Sorry for the backslash overload.
Jim Ansell on this board has a bunch o' EVMs for sale.
There's a amp settings thread somewhere around here...
But for a clean jazzbox tone, turn down the gain, turn up the master, for max headroom.

MrMarkIII said:
There's a amp settings thread somewhere around here...
But for a clean jazzbox tone, turn down the gain, turn up the master, for max headroom.
Here's the settings database:

http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/mesa-boogie/mesa-boogie-amp-settings.html

And here's the C+ Sample Settings page:

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/settings.html

Maybe you can also use STR 425 tubes on your Mark IV for a jazzy sound.

I'd love to share some insight on this, as there aren't really many jazz fellows on here, but at the moment I have very little until I get my Mark IIC+ fixed and get a chance to test things out a bit more.

However, I could make a few points; if you're going for that smooth and even, near-breakup jazz clean tone, I'd probably keep Volume 1 quite high (or low if you want more of a spanky, shimmering, dynamic type clean with tons of headroom), I'd set the Treble to taste (keep in mind that this control works in series/together with the mid and bass controls, so any change here will also result in different effect on the remaining two, so the best way here is to probably just try things out and experiment). I'd also keep the Volume 1 and Bass pushed in, and Treble and Master 1 pulled out. On the graphic, I'd probably knock the mids up quite a bit, and keep the 80hz and 6600hz sliders lower.

Latest posts

Back