running a IV into a Fender combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan_kilco

Reaction score
was thinking about hooking up my IV to my Fender Deluxe 90.....

here's the deal:

I have no speaker cab here, and I want Boogie tones.

Can I safely run my IV into the Fender Pwr Amp In without hurting the IV?

isnt there a way I can run out of the FX Send, if the amp is on Standby, without a speaker connected?

its not a really big deal, just wondering. Figured someone would have replied by now.

I'm no expert, but in several places in the manual it says you need to have either a speaker or a load resistor connnected or you will damage the amp.

If the amp is on standy, you will have no signal in the FX send.

bryan_kilco said:
isnt there a way I can run out of the FX Send, if the amp is on Standby, without a speaker connected?
Absolutely not! You must have a load connected to the Mark IV whenever it's turned on. If you want to use the Boogie why not connect the speaker output of the Boogie to the Fender speaker (after disconnecting the Fender amp). Just make sure the Fender isn't turned on without a load.

ok guys, thanks a lot for the responses!! I figured I needed a load on it at all times, but I thought I heard people talking about how you can safely run the amp on standby and still get an FX Send level. No biggie, I wont mess with it.

dwsabianguy said:
It's been stated, but why not use the speakers from the combo, and bypass the Fender power amp all together?

Yes, this seems like the easiest thing to do. Just plug the Fender's speaker(s) into the Boogie. If the cord from the speaker is not long enough, I have used another speaker cable and a 1/4" coupler to make the distance.

When I purchased my first Boogie amps I did not have speaker cabs, so I ran the heads through the speaker (Eminence Red Coat Governor) in my 73 Deluxe Reverb. Others here have mentioned this approach and I can say from experience that it is the easiest way to go, and you will not damage the amp in the process. This was not the preferred setup for my taste, but it worked until I was able to purchase my Thiele cabs.

Latest posts

Back