Hi New Memeber

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemply

Reaction score
Hello just registered, first time visiting the site.

I have gotten my hands on a Mesa Boogie Mark III (Purple Stripe) recently. I don't know much about this amp but do know it has some amazing tone.

It needs some work though. After talking with Rich at Mesa Service I believe I have what Mesa has labled "The Reverb Glitch"... when using only clean channel as the sustained chord begins to decay I'm picking up some distortion in the background. Rich told me its an easy fix all I need to do is find a decent tech who can put the resistor in for me.

That brings me to a question for you guys... I am planning on retubing this Mark III and am definitely looking for some suggestions. I'm mostly a blues player but I occasionally enjoy getting those screaming pinch harmonics when tastefully placed. :D

Here are a few photos of the amp...

P1010116.jpg

P1010117.jpg

P1010127.jpg

P1010129.jpg

P1010134.jpg

I look forward to hearing what seasoned Mesa owners have to say. :D

Welcome Hemply! Nice MKIII combo. I've been having great luck with the new Mullard re-issues, but I haven't heard of anyone trying them in a Mark Series amp.

Thanks for the welcome I'm enjoying the reading! :)

The whole idea behind swapping the tubes out is basically looking at this amp like I look at a classic car. Yeah it runs but new plugs and points can't hurt things. But I'm quickly realizing just how nice this amp is the way she is right now.

I am having some problems with the reverb, it's basically not working at lower levels, when I crank it I hear it but there is definitely a problem. Also the "Reverb Glitch" that I mentioned in the OP is causing a distortion bleed into my clean channel (this is when the reverb is on, if it's set to "0" the bleed does not happen).

Considering the price I got this for (under $600) doing some minor repairs are not an issue.

I've took the manuals suggested settings and did two Video Demo's. 1st one in Class A and the 2nd using Simul-Class.
Nothing fancy just checking out the amp. The Mark III was set for "Blues" utilizing a "Dirty Rhythm" channel and "Wailing Lead" channel per the manual. I'm getting the drop in volume when I switch from Lead to Rhythm channel but the volume comes right back, I'll have to work on that issue as well. Oh I'm using a 2008 Gibson 1960 Reissue/Historic with Burstbucker 1/2.

Here are the links to the demos of you are so inclined...

Class A Demo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyvDiNGTO5c
Simul-Class Demo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdQVbOXaS0Y

I'm thinking this Mark III is definitely a KEEPER! :wink:

I'd appreciate some feedback from fellow forum member's about this amp?

Just check out your clips. Very cool.
I tend to use the "view new post" so this one slipped by some how.

The title "Hi New Member" is part of the reason you have no one replying to your Q's.

I recommend you copy and paste some of this with a a title that fits the Q you have. That title does not imply there are Q's inside.
I believe you well have much better luck......

I sold my III in '89 to buy my IV so I have no advise on it. .......... Great amps the Mark's.

:mrgreen:

stephen sawall said:
Just check out your clips. Very cool.
I tend to use the "view new post" so this one slipped by some how.

The title "Hi New Member" is part of the reason you have no one replying to your Q's.

I recommend you copy and paste some of this with a a title that fits the Q you have. That title does not imply there are Q's inside.
I believe you well have much better luck......

I sold my III in '89 to buy my IV so I have no advise on it. .......... Great amps the Mark's.

:mrgreen:

Yeah I'm really digging this Mark III and am very glad to have it in my collection.
I've been searching for a good tech and think I may have found one, just getting the time to get to him is another story.

Thanks for the suggestion about getting more responses, but I'm not sure what you meant by "copy and paste"? Did you mean start a new tread with the text from the current thread attached?

Hemply said:
... when using only clean channel as the sustained chord begins to decay I'm picking up some distortion in the background. Rich told me its an easy fix all I need to do is find a decent tech who can put the resistor in for me.

I look forward to hearing what seasoned Mesa owners have to say. :D

That sounds like a voice coil rub in the speaker. That Celestion is probably on it's last leg.

You could do that or start a new thread or highlight then right click. Hit copy. Then click in the field you want to move it to. Right click and paste. This is "copy and paste". It can be a real time saver.

Latest posts

Back