New to the forum help pls can't decide Mark IV vs Lonestar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbleboy26uk

Reaction score
Guys, just joined the forum have been a mesa user for many years. I have an Express 5:50 but want to add to the herd.

I really love Andy Timmons sound (appreciate a lot is in the fingers here!) but always lusted after the all singing all dancing Mark IV. Anyway my dilemma is that a Lonestar 2x12 and a Mark iV have come to my attention both at bargain prices IMHO and I can't decide. The mark 4 dates back to 98 and the Lonestar is 18months old, both in pristine condition both mine for 1200 sterling (Retail for the markIV is in excess of 2K here in the UK and around 2K for the Lonestar)

I play in a top 40's band here in the UK, pubs, weddings etc and play some shows in the orchestra. Which would you recommend please? I am daunted by the MarkIV's attention to detail required to tame the beast but think maybe the lonestar whilst a bigger amp isn't a big enough differentiator from my 5:50?

Thoughts gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Dimitri

I would say the Mark IV is probably a better choice for you given your song array (top 40s, weddings, etc).

Both are great amps however you have more tones at your disposal with a IV. The lonestar cleans are better but you get much more gain/crunch and a better(matter of opinion) lead tone on the Mark. You also get 3 channels and the ability to run EL34's in your outer sockets with the IV. The EQ is also a huge plus on the IV for custom tailoring your sounds even further. In a cover band you've got a lot of ground to cover and I feel like the IV would be a better tool for you.

Back