Mark IV anemic Tweed setting & need a schematic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwall

Reaction score
Hello All,
Newbie here, thanks for letting me in.

My band mate has a Mark IV combo that has recently had the Tweed setting go all but dead. When you switch to it the power bleeds down to almost nothing over about 4-5 seconds. To hopefully correct it he installed a new set of tubes with no change. I pulled the chassis and found the 470ohm screen resistor burned open on one of the center 6L6 power tubes(V6?). I spoke with him about that and he said he thinks it happened a few years ago when he inadvertently installed an EL34 in one of the inside sockets but it didn't affect the amps performance. He runs it in Simulclass/Triode mode. I replaced the resistor but it had no appreciable affect.

I found schematics for most of the amp but not the power supply. I was told it is similar to the Triple Rectifier's Bold/Spongy setting. That schematic leads me to believe it just switches the primary winding of the xfmr so unless there is a weird problem with the xfmr the problem must be a marginalized component down stream reacting adversely to the lower voltage of the Tweed setting ...or am I way off base? Admittedly I'm little more than a novice @ amp repair and this is one hell of an amp.

I would be much obliged if someone could send me the schematic covering the Tweed switch, and does anyone know what the Tweed setting problem may be caused by? The amp works fine otherwise.

Best regards,

Kwall

Kwall said:
Hello All,
Newbie here, thanks for letting me in.

My band mate has a Mark IV combo that has recently had the Tweed setting go all but dead. When you switch to it the power bleeds down to almost nothing over about 4-5 seconds. To hopefully correct it he installed a new set of tubes with no change. I pulled the chassis and found the 470ohm screen resistor burned open on one of the center 6L6 power tubes(V6?). I spoke with him about that and he said he thinks it happened a few years ago when he inadvertently installed an EL34 in one of the inside sockets but it didn't affect the amps performance. He runs it in Simulclass/Triode mode. I replaced the resistor but it had no appreciable affect.

I found schematics for most of the amp but not the power supply. I was told it is similar to the Triple Rectifier's Bold/Spongy setting. That schematic leads me to believe it just switches the primary winding of the xfmr so unless there is a weird problem with the xfmr the problem must be a marginalized component down stream reacting adversely to the lower voltage of the Tweed setting ...or am I way off base? Admittedly I'm little more than a novice @ amp repair and this is one hell of an amp.

I would be much obliged if someone could send me the schematic covering the Tweed switch, and does anyone know what the Tweed setting problem may be caused by? The amp works fine otherwise.

Best regards,

Kwall

Maybe this will help, especially the last part.

Copied without permission:

Here's the info from the Mesa Memo...

SOUND “DROP-OUTS” / INTERMITTENT SIGNAL

One Possible Cause

Most (but not all) Mesa/Boogie amplifiers have one or two “cathode follower” tube
stages in their preamps. Tube selection is CRITICAL in these stages.

Specifically, in a 12AX7 tube used as a “cathode follower”, the voltage difference
between that present at the cathode, as compared with the heater voltage, can be
withstood or tolerated by certain types of tubes, whereas other tubes will fail. The
failure of a “cathode follower“ tube will cause sound dropouts or signal loss.

For the past few years, Mesa has been using two types of 12AX7 tubes: ones
originating in Russia (Sovtek EH), and ones originating in China. The Russian (Sovtek)
tube is NOT reliable as a cathode follower. Of the tubes we are using today (March
2008), ONLY THE CHINESE 12AX7 IS RELIABLE AS A CATHODE FOLLOWER.

In conclusion, if you are troubleshooting for signal dropout in a Mesa/Boogie amp,
suspect a cathode follower tube, and try replacing it with a Mesa 12AX7 that is marked
as “CHINESE” (silk-screened on the tube itself).

Below is a partial list of Mesa amps and cathode follower tube locations:

GUITAR AMPS BASS AMPS

Lone Star & LS Special: V3
M-Pulse: V2
Stiletto: V3 & V4
Venture: V2
Road King I: V3 & V4
Big Block 750: V4
Road King II: V3 & V5
Titan: V4
Roadster: V3 & V5
M2000: V2
Dual & Triple (2ch or 3ch): V3 & V4
Bass 400+: V2
Tremoverb: V3 & V4

ANOTHER POSSIBLE SCENARIO may occur in the “SPONGY” (or on some models,
“TWEED”) power setting: the reduced filament voltage may cause very low output from
a RUSSIAN preamp tube. Again, the recommended fix is to replace the “sagging” tube
with the CHINESE type of Mesa 12AX7 - which are more immune to this type of failure.

Back