Mark III problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brain Becker

Reaction score
I have a red stripe Mark III that is "static-y" when I let chords ring out. I have replaced all of the tubes, cleaned the tube sockets, input jacks, and all of the pots and I'm still having the same problem. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what to do next?

make sure your guitar, guitar cable, speaker and speaker cable (and jacks, both amp and cab) are ok....substitute each with another and make sure the static is still there.

you might have a loose component on the board somewhere.

what i would do is pull the chassis, fire it up, plug an ipod into the main input jack, and then with a wooden (non-conductive) stick, carefully poke around, tapping on each component and solder joint...a loose connection will usually reveal itself when you push on it. remember to use care because the voltages inside the live amp are lethal.

while tapping pay attention to color of the resistors....you may have one burned open and the charring is pretty noticeable

do you have a digital multimeter? with the amp off, measure resistance on the power tube screen and grid resistors, and power supply voltage dropping resistors. look for drifted values, open and shorted resistors. with the amp live, measure voltages at pins 3, 4 and 5 of the power tubes, pins 1 and 6 of the preamp tubes and compare to the schematic.

this is a good resource:
http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/ampdebug.htm

I don't have an Ipod, but I do have a meter. When I get some time, I'll poke around and post what I find out.

I'll add that I know it's not my guitar or cables because I don't have any of those problems with my other amp.

Back