what to look for when buying used?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatoni

Reaction score
im looking at trading a med. head for a short head. i know mine is fine because i bought it from mesa. its my only tube amp and i dont really know what to look for when shopping used. when i go check out the short head is there anything i should be looking for that would make a straight trade stupid? what are some common problems that i should be looking to avoid? thanks in advance

fatoni said:
im looking at trading a med. head for a short head. i know mine is fine because i bought it from mesa. its my only tube amp and i dont really know what to look for when shopping used. when i go check out the short head is there anything i should be looking for that would make a straight trade stupid? what are some common problems that i should be looking to avoid? thanks in advance

Here is my 2 cents on what to look for

I would definitely pull out the chassis and look inside to check for rust, obvious repairs and damage, etc. If the tolex is original and in good shape that would be a good sign. Dented head cases and ripped tolex is a sure indication of neglect and/or abuse.

I would also play her with your guitar, cables (instrument and speaker) and speaker cabinet using the settings you currently use on your medium head. Play at stage volume too.

Bring a standard footswitch with you to make sure all the footswitch switches in the back work. Also bring your FU-3 and make sure all the switching works with yours and his on the short head.

Now I just want to add a few other comments about why you would make this deal.

1. The medium head has more of the switches on the front (I believe) so I would personally see that as the more favorable model, unless point 3 applies.
2. I owned a short head Mark IV B for over 5 years. For a small lady she was heavy as a F-150. I can't imagine the medium head is much heavier. If you are trying to go lighter I would think you would only save a few pounds.
3. The only reason I would trade a medium head for a short head would be to rackmount it. If you ain't gonna rackmount, I don't believe the short head gives you any advantages over the medium head, but what do I know.

Well that's my 2 cents. Hope it helps you with your decision making process.

Latest posts

Back