Basic Mark IV questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr GearHead

Reaction score
I have some pretty basic Mark Iv questions for you guys, I have tried the search function but there’s too much information !!!

I have heard stories the Mark Iv is a tweakers amp which to be honest scares me. One of the things I love about my stiletto is it’s plug and play. Once I find some good tones will I be endlessly be tweeking to suit the venue etc ?

The tones I want to get out of it are probably Petrucci inspired from Images and Words (not looking to nail those tones but as a frame of reference). Is it possible to switch from the saturated tight rhythm tone to the lead tone the Mark IV is famous for and get a volume boost at the same time ?

I am looking to run a head through my V30 loaded Orange 2x12, is this a good match ?

I know the Mark V is probably imminent but if I go Mark IV I should be able to keep the stiletto as well.

Thanks

The Mark IV is called a tweakers amp because it does require some time and attention to dial in. This does not have to be a bad thing. It is hard to dial in because it can do a lot.

For starters, there are tone settings in the back of the Mark IV manual. These are a great place to start and build on. Reading the manual is important because it describes how some of the controls effect tone in ways that you might not think of - and also the way some of them interact.

R2 is not particularly saturated, but I have found that the right combination of preamp tubes will help. I can't tell you which because I think I just got lucky. I can tell you that I am using all NOS tubes. However, if you use a clean boost, R2 will saturate nicely and then you can kick into the lead channel for the signature Mark IV lead sound.

I was also worried that too much tweaking would be required before I got my mark IV. Well, I've had mine for 7 months now and I couldn't be happier! I still haven't found that perfect tone yet because I keep alternating between great ones so I can't decide!

Petrucci's settings are all over the net. If you pick one up, I can have them for you before the tubes even warm up. It can do the rhythm and lead sound all in one. The volume boost can be had with a pedal.

Using the lead channel, if you set the GEQ to super scooped, you get a super tight rhythm tone, then simply click the GEQ off to have a more middy slightly louder lead tone.

Back