You need the EQ IMHO

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
I had a MKI without the EQ (hated it, except for the clean sound) sold it. just p/u one with EQ and freakin love it, both dirty and clean, what a difference IMHO. I don't know why they don't offer the EQ on every amp they make? I think the only thing left is the contour pot on the express, right? Big mistake IMHO.

I need the control you get over the mid freq, with the EQ. I can dial my blackface bassman and also get more of a marshall tone using the EQ.

I don't have any problem getting a good sound out of my amp without the EQ, but I am going to retrofit it...for the scoopz.

At first I didn't use the eq and I was happy. I really thought the EQ was for heavy metal guys that want to suck out all the mids and over do the bass and treble (I'm not trying to dis heavy metal guys, it's all good IMHO). I loved the tone with out the EQ but once I tried balancing my clean tone with a heavier rhythm I started to get into the EQ. I think it's a great option to have.

I think that the EQ is part of the Mesa Boogie legacy and therefore should definitely be reimplemented on their amps.

It allows a both easy and excellent way to shape your tone, the way I use it is like having a 70s and 90s lead voiced amp rolled into one with the option available at the stomping of a switch.

I used to use it and have fairly severe settings (like JP's scooped mids) but lately I've been experimenting with SFAMish tones. Although I don't currently "need" the eq, it helps to focus on certain aspects on the tone that I want to refine.

Latest posts

Back