The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:15 pm 
Donating Member

My "blue" stripe MkIII dates 7/89 and s/n is 253XX, puts is squarely in the blue production time period and pre green, right? My stripe is NOT clearly blue, but light blue/blue-greenish. I'll pull the chassis to confirm triode mode tomorrow. If this is confirmed a blue stripe, this lend credence to the teal stripe being just a bad blue pen. Someone must have left the cap off!

One other thought, I've played outdoors quite a bit in the past. Could the stripe be simply faded due to solar or thermal impact?

(2) Boogie 2x12 Half-back Cabs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:03 pm 
Mark II

I've got a really late green stripe - #28,130 - 95'

I also have a black dot #15,895 - 85' which was upgraded to red stripe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:09 pm 
Mark IV

This is the info I have been collecting from Ian's website, eBay auctions and this forum.
There are some overlaps and some freaky numbers (heads are sometimes out of their own stripe range).

I may have copied and typed some wrong numbers as well. So whoever has any better information, please pitch in so we can edit and update this list (Colis are not included).

- black stripe (3/85 to 1/86): 15001 to 16715
- purple stripe (1/86 to 12/86): 16657 to 19059
- red stripe (12/86 to 1/88): 18949 to 21863
- blue stripe (1/88 to 5/89): 21825 to 24933
- green stripe (5/89 to 9/98): 24898 to 28386

Blue Stripes in 60W and 100/60W power amps extend into green stripe territory. All Green Stripes were Simul-Class and fully loaded.

Thanks

Last edited by igfraso on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:37 am 
Bottle Rocket

Hi,

I have Blue stripe 60W, Rev, GEQ, Serial #27823, build date 2/93, maybe one of the last Blues.

http://www.mueller-design.com/mesa-mark-iii-pics.html
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:35 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Ok - I may have the last Blue stripe ever made. I have a 60W combo (2 Mesa STR420 Green tubes only) with the Celestion Black Shadow C90 speaker, Reverb, graphic EQ, non-simulclass. It has the serial number decal below the power cord - #28288!!! The guy I got it from was the original owner - he gave me all the literature and even the showroom hangtag. All price lists/manuals were dated 1996, and under the chassis between the tubes is written in blue marker "04/97" with the same initials as on the back. On the back below the power chord are initials"MB"in marker, with a star written below them.
Could this have been a custom build for someone?
Please chime in - I love this amp, but everything I read confuses me, as there are conflicting opinions on all the boards.
Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:28 am 
Mark III

sluggo wrote:
Ok - I may have the last Blue stripe ever made. I have a 60W combo (2 Mesa STR420 Green tubes only) with the Celestion Black Shadow C90 speaker, Reverb, graphic EQ, non-simulclass. It has the serial number decal below the power cord - #28288!!! The guy I got it from was the original owner - he gave me all the literature and even the showroom hangtag. All price lists/manuals were dated 1996, and under the chassis between the tubes is written in blue marker "04/97" with the same initials as on the back. On the back below the power chord are initials"MB"in marker, with a star written below them.
Could this have been a custom build for someone?
Please chime in - I love this amp, but everything I read confuses me, as there are conflicting opinions on all the boards.
Thanks!!!

Some of the stripes change color over time, but one sure-fire way to determine if your amp is a blue stripe as opposed to a green stripe, is to look at a gut shot of the power tube sockets. It's easy to tell whether it's wired in pentode (green stripe) or triode (blue stripe).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:21 am 
Mark IV

All green stripes were Simul-Class.
Being Sluggo's amp a 60 watter, I believe it is a blue stripe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:25 am 
Mark III

igfraso wrote:
All green stripes were Simul-Class.
Being Sluggo's amp a 60 watter, I believe it is a blue stripe.

Yep, I agree, all greens are simul-class. Just trying to provide some information on how it's best to tell the "100 watters" apart. Sluggo's is definitely one of the latest numbers I've seen, and I'm surprised they extend the 60watt production that far.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:35 pm 
Mark II

Hello all,

I'm looking at possibly adding a Mark III to my amp collection. I found one advertised as a Green Stripe, but it has a strange serial number. It's "A228xx", which makes me think it should be a Blue. But I'm confused by the letter A. Is that normal? The stripe actually looks kind of teal or aqua. For the record, it's Simulclass, with GEQ, and reverb.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:24 pm 
Donating Member

Brad737 wrote:
Hello all,

I'm looking at possibly adding a Mark III to my amp collection. I found one advertised as a Green Stripe, but it has a strange serial number. It's "A228xx", which makes me think it should be a Blue. But I'm confused by the letter A. Is that normal? The stripe actually looks kind of teal or aqua. For the record, it's Simulclass, with GEQ, and reverb.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

The serial number certainly strays into the blue territory. Is it stamped into the chassis or a sticker? There are so many examples of "exceptions" to the S/N rules. Price-wise, there's no difference so if it's a good deal, don't let the stripe influence you. Once you have it, if you just gotta know, open it up and check for triode wiring on the power stage.

(2) Boogie 2x12 Half-back Cabs

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:44 pm 
Mark II

The serial number is stamped into the plate on the back of the chassis. How do I check for triode wiring?
Thanks,
Brad

kdorsey wrote:
The serial number certainly strays into the blue territory. Is it stamped into the chassis or a sticker? There are so many examples of "exceptions" to the S/N rules. Price-wise, there's no difference so if it's a good deal, don't let the stripe influence you. Once you have it, if you just gotta know, open it up and check for triode wiring on the power stage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:58 pm 
Mark III

MK lll Simulclass Blue Stripe EVM-12L EU version - 22294

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gejXLj8W-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Eptmr_XaRQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:08 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Mine is #162XX, head, SimulClass, GEQ, reverb, and has the following:

Purple stripe above the power cord.
Blue '+ .' or 'x .' above the power cord. That is, some cross-like mark and a dot, in blue marker, over or under the purple stripe.
Green dot next to the courtesy outlet.
Green 'R' below the courtesy outlet.
'MB' in black marker below the power cord.

I'm assuming this is a purple stripe, but I don't know what the plus and dots mean.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:30 pm 
Mark II

Mine is a blue stripe combo: SimulClass, reverb, and EQ.

S/N: 22170

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:19 am 
Bottle Rocket

So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Mk III long chassis with what looks like a red stripe but the serial is 1852#. Any opinion on whether or not it's actually a red stripe? It has the MB initial, SC over the power cord, and an R below the cord. Any help would be much appreciated!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next