The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MARK III + + mod
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:33 am 
Bottle Rocket

So I have a fully loaded MARK III blue stripe head with graphic EQ, reverb and Simul Class. I'd LOVE to get a combo cab for it as I have lots of great Mesa (and other) heads but no small portable rig. I would also love to have a + or a + + mod done by Mike B. I'm a hard rock and metal player (so think tones from 80s Sunset Strip hard rock to Metallica). Which mod (+ or ++) is the way to go ? Also, in a combo, what speaker would be a good choice (leaving the EVM out of it, too heavy !) ? I'm leaning toward C90 or a G12 H or K 100 ? What about the old Eminence 150 watt from the half back days ?

Thanks !

Post subject: Re: MARK III + + mod
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:36 am 
Mark II

paulyc wrote:
So I have a fully loaded MARK III blue stripe head with graphic EQ, reverb and Simul Class. I'd LOVE to get a combo cab for it as I have lots of great Mesa (and other) heads but no small portable rig. I would also love to have a + or a + + mod done by Mike B. I'm a hard rock and metal player (so think tones from 80s Sunset Strip hard rock to Metallica). Which mod (+ or ++) is the way to go ? Also, in a combo, what speaker would be a good choice (leaving the EVM out of it, too heavy !) ? I'm leaning toward C90 or a G12 H or K 100 ? What about the old Eminence 150 watt from the half back days ?

Thanks !

I didn't know there was a ++ mod. I would love one for my Blue stripe if there is one. I personally prefer the organic timbre speaker in my blue stripe, Great response and similar in sound to the EVM but with more Roll off on the upper treble frequencies. Bandit made a great comparison with it in his MKV.

Schecter Hellraiser
1984 Gibson Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:42 am 
Bottle Rocket

Organic timbre ? IDK what speaker you're talking about, can you explain please ?

I've seen a clip on YT of someone playing psychodave's Mark III ++ and it sounds glorious. MB has confirmed the ++ mod exists...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 pm 
Mark II

paulyc wrote:
Organic timbre ? IDK what speaker you're talking about, can you explain please ?

I've seen a clip on YT of someone playing psychodave's Mark III ++ and it sounds glorious. MB has confirmed the ++ mod exists...

http://www.organictimbre.com/store/p1/R ... _G12F.html

Oh cool. So the Organic Timbre Rhapsody 12 is a speaker that has recently come to light on this board and I have heard great things about it, link is above.

Schecter Hellraiser
1984 Gibson Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:40 pm 
Mark II

I just looked up the mod on youtube and it sounds pretty over the top and ridiculous. Definitely gonna look into sending mine off for that.

Schecter Hellraiser
1984 Gibson Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:33 pm 
Mark I

paulyc, where are you located? I might be looking for a head shell for my mark iii.....if I decide to go that route, mine's loaded in a combo shell that's in great shape.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:23 pm 
Bottle Rocket

New England.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 pm 
Mark II

So this ++ mod has even more gain than a regular Mark III? I thought Mark IIIs already have a bunch more gain than the Mark IIC+ amps.